Odai Falah Mohammad AL-Ghaswyneh,
Northern Border University (Arar, Saudi Arabia)
This study focus on employees as an internal customer to the specifications that the working environment provides to them to achieve their tasks and increase staff’s performance by examining their job satisfaction. The concept of internal marketing is to achieve the staff’s satisfaction to satisfy customers’ needs. Any organization that implements a retention policy for its high performing marketing professionals for its products, services and operations by providing them with awareness programs about its mission, objectives and customer requirements, will inevitably be able to improve its services provided by its staff. Analysis revealed that there is no statistically significant value below (0.05) for the main hypothesis of the study in terms of training, internal communications, promotion, incentive systems, and the dissatisfaction of the majority of employees about the internal marketing pillars applied by the university. This explains the low level of effectiveness of the internal marketing in terms of implementation and its impact on the professional performance of the majority of respondents from both genders. In comparing the statistical findings of the study sample, the majority of responses is that the university works on enhancing the work environment by using technology and direct connections with the staff, and by providing the required information to the staff to be able to perform their tasks without focusing on staff’s satisfaction with training, incentive, and promotion in general. This requires conducting a study on how to develop the university’s training, incentive and promotion systems by focusing on the characteristics of the current working environment and its relation with the prevailing work culture in the study community. Moreover, this requires highlighting the level of qualification and training of staff and its role in enhancing the professional performance, and the role of internal marketing as a novel concept in enhancing staff performance.
Keywords: internal marketing, promotion, incentives, training, internal administrative communications, university, employees, performance.
JEL Classification: M31.
Cite as: AL-Ghaswyneh, O. F. M. (2018). Pillars of internal marketing and their impact on staff performance. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 2, 313-326. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2018.2-24
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Abbas, R. A., & Riaz, M. T. (2018). The effect of internal marketing dimensions on organizational commitment of employees: An Investigation among Private Banks in Faisalabad, Pakistan (A study based on different dimensions of internal marketing).
- Abidin, H. A. Z., Roslin, R. M., & Kamaluddin, N. (2018). Internal Marketing and Employees’ Performance: Relating Marketing Strategies in Human Resource Efforts. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 2nd Advances in Business Research International Conference.
- Ahmed, P. K., & Rafiq, M. (2003). Internal marketing issues and challenges. European Journal of marketing, 37(9), 1177-1186.
- Akroush, M. N., Abu-ElSamen, A. A., Samawi, G. A., & Odetallah, A. L. (2013). Internal marketing and service quality in restaurants. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 31(4), 304-336.
- Al-Najjar, S. M., & Kalaf, K. H. (2012). Designing a balanced scorecard to measure a bank’s performance: A case study. International journal of business administration, 3(4), 44.
- Almajali, M., M, Albashabsha, A., A, & Almajali, H., M. (2016). Effect of the Internal Marketing Dimensions on the Employee’s Job Satisfaction and Its Effect on Their Performance in the Working Commercial Banks in the Karak Governorate. Jordan Journal of Business Administration, 407(3971), 1-31.
- Andrews, J. C., & Shimp, T. A. (2017). Advertising, promotion, and other aspects of integrated marketing communications: Nelson Education.
- Aryee, S., Walumbwa, F. O., Seidu, E. Y., & Otaye, L. E. (2016). Developing and leveraging human capital resource to promote service quality: Testing a theory of performance. Journal of management, 42(2), 480-499.
- Boukis, A., Kaminakis, K., Siampos, A., & Kostopoulos, I. (2015). Linking internal marketing with customer outcomes. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 33(3), 394-413.
- Brooks, R. F., Lings, I. N., & Botschen, M. A. (1999). Internal marketing and customer driven wavefronts. Service Industries Journal, 19(4), 49-67.
- Chiniara, M., & Bentein, K. (2016). Linking servant leadership to individual performance: Differentiating the mediating role of autonomy, competence and relatedness need satisfaction. The Leadership Quarterly, 27(1), 124-141.
- Dahl, A. J., & Peltier, J. W. (2014). Internal marketing and employee satisfaction and loyalty: cross-cultural scale validation in the context of US and German nurses. Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior, 27, 43.
- Dul, J., & Ceylan, C. (2014). The Impact of a creativity‐supporting work environment on a firm’s product innovation performance. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 31(6), 1254-1267.
- Epstein, M. J., & Buhovac, A. R. (2014). Making sustainability work: Best practices in managing and measuring corporate social, environmental, and economic impacts: Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
- George, W. R. (1990). Internal marketing and organizational behaviour: A partnership in developing customer-conscious employees at every level. journal of Business Research, 20(1), 63-70.
- Grönroos, C. (1981). Internal marketing–an integral part of marketing theory. Marketing of services, 236, 238.
- Holt, G. D. (2014). Asking questions, analysing answers: relative importance revisited. Construction Innovation, 14(1), 2-16.
- Hsiao, A., & Ma, E. (2017). Internal marketing. Routledge Handbook of Hospitality Marketing.
- Huang, Y.-T., & Rundle-Thiele, S. (2014). The moderating effect of cultural congruence on the internal marketing practice and employee satisfaction relationship: An empirical examination of Australian and Taiwanese born tourism employees. Tourism Management, 42, 196-206.
- Hwang, S., & Der-Jang, C. (2005). Relationships among internal marketing, employee job satisfaction and international hotel performance: An empirical study. International Journal of Management, 22(2), 285.
- Imam, A., Abbasi, A. S., Muneer, S., & Qadri, M. M. (2013). Organizational culture and performance of higher educational institutions: The mediating role of individual readiness for change. European Journal of Business and Management, 5(20), 23-34.
- Ismail, W., & Sheriff, N. (2017). The effect of internal marketing on organizational commitment: an empirical study in banking sector in Yemen. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 15.
- Kashive, N., & Khanna, V. T. (2017). Building employee brand equity to influence organization attractiveness and firm performance. International Journal of Business and Management, 12(2), 207.
- Kim, Y. H., Sting, F. J., & Loch, C. H. (2014). Top-down, bottom-up, or both? Toward an integrative perspective on operations strategy formation. Journal of Operations Management, 32(7-8), 462-474.
- Kotler, P. (2015). Framework for marketing management: Pearson Education India.
- Kotler, P., Keller, K. L., & Lu, T. (2009). Marketing management in China: Prentice Hall.
- Liu, M.-L., Liu, N.-T., Ding, C. G., & Lin, C.-P. (2015). Exploring team performance in high-tech industries: Future trends of building up teamwork. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 91, 295-310.
- Lu, L., Lu, A. C. C., Gursoy, D., & Neale, N. R. (2016). Work engagement, job satisfaction, and turnover intentions: A comparison between supervisors and line-level employees. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 28(4), 737-761.
- Lussier, R. N., & Hendon, J. R. (2018). Human resource management: Functions, applications, and skill development: Sage publications.
- Marshall, G. W., Baker, J., & Finn, D. W. (1998). Exploring internal customer service quality. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 13(4/5), 381-392.
- Mathe, K., Scott-Halsell, S., & Roseman, M. (2016). The role of customer orientation in the relationship between manager communications and customer satisfaction. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 40(2), 198-209.
- Memon, M. A., Salleh, R., & Baharom, M. N. R. (2016). The link between training satisfaction, work engagement and turnover intention. European Journal of Training and Development, 40(6), 407-429.
- Nica, E. (2016). The effect of perceived organizational support on organizational commitment and employee performance. Journal of Self-Governance and Management Economics, 4(4), 34-40.
- Pageaux, B. (2014). The psychobiological model of endurance performance: an effort-based decision-making theory to explain self-paced endurance performance. Sports Medicine, 44(9), 1319.
- Phillips, J. L., & Hickman, L. D. (2017). INTEGRATED CARE AND MULTIDISCIPLINARY TEAMWORK. Contexts of Nursing: An Introduction, 219.
- Rony, N. I., & Suki, N. M. (2017). Modelling the Relationships between Internal Marketing Factors and Employee Job Satisfaction in Oil and Gas Industry. Asian Social Science, 13(3), 135.
- Shahzadi, I., Javed, A., Pirzada, S. S., Nasreen, S., & Khanam, F. (2014). Impact of employee motivation on employee performance. European Journal of Business and Management, 6(23), 159-166.
- Shiu, Y.-M., & Yu, T.-W. (2010). Internal marketing, organisational culture, job satisfaction, and organisational performance in non-life insurance. The Service Industries Journal, 30(6), 793-809.
- Tsai, Y. (2014). Learning organizations, internal marketing, and organizational commitment in hospitals. BMC health services research, 14(1), 152.
- Van Solinge, H., & Henkens, K. (2014). Work-related factors as predictors in the retirement decision-making process of older workers in the Netherlands. Ageing & Society, 34(9), 1551-1574.
- Vavra, T. G. (1992). Aftermarketing: How to keep customers for life through relationship marketing: Irwin Professional Pub.
- Vratskikh, I., Al-Lozi, M., & Maqableh, M. (2016). The Impact of Emotional Intelligence on Job Performance via the Mediating Role of Job Satisfaction. International Journal of Business and Management, 11(2), 69.
- Yao, Q., Chen, R., & Cai, G. (2013). How internal marketing can cultivate psychological empowerment and enhance employee performance. Social Behavior and Personality: an international journal, 41(4), 529-537.
- Yildiz, S. M., & Kara, A. (2017). A unidimensional instrument for measuring internal marketing concept in the higher education sector: IM-11 scale. Quality Assurance in Education, 25(3).
- Zaman, K., Javaid, N., Arshad, A., & Bibi, S. (2012). Impact of internal marketing on market orientation and business performance. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(12).