Ternopil National Economic University (Ternopil, Ukraine)
Ternopil National Economic University (Ternopil, Ukraine)
The problem of finding efficient models of managing the innovation activities of urban public transport providers is relevant in the recognition of innovation as the main principle of the strategy of economic and social development of Ukraine. The purpose of the study is to identify the ways to improve the marketing innovation management process of urban public transport service providers in the regional centers of Ukraine. The purpose has determined the need to solve such problems as to identify the degree of marketing orientation of urban public transport providers of the regional centers of Ukraine; identify problems and outline ways to improve the management of marketing activities of subjects of the national network of the urban public transportation.
In January-March 2018, the authors initiated a study on the current state of urban public transport in regional Ukrainian cities. Following this, the requests for public information were submitted in accordance with the Law of Ukraine “On Access to Public Information” to all city councils of Ukraine’s regions except temporarily occupied territories. The article analyzes the quantitative and qualitative state of the fleet of vehicles, the requirements and the state of their observance by carriers, the level of fares, and the state of information provision of passengers of urban public transport in the regional cities in Ukraine. Empirical data obtained in the course of the study confirmed the appropriateness of the development of customer orientation of urban public transport service providers in terms of improving the quality of the fleet of vehicles (increase of the share of ecological transport and renewal of the fleet of vehicles); strengthening the control of city councils for the quality of services provided by carriers; intensification of cooperation of the city councils with representatives of the civil society within the framework of the Law of Ukraine “On Access to Public Information”; increase in the number of smart stops.
Keywords: marketing, urban public transport, tariff, need, consumer, marketing innovation, market.
JEL Classification: М30, L98, R41.
Cite as: Borysova, T., Monastyrskyi, G. (2018). Marketing innovation activity of urban public transport: results of the empirical study. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 3, 229-240. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2018.3-20
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Raiko, D. V., & Lebedieva, L. E. (2015). Model upravlinnya marketyngom u systemi menedzhmentu promyslovogo pidpryyemstva [Model of marketing management in management system of industrial enterprise]. Marketing and Management of Innovations,(1), 107-123. Retrieved August 20, 2018, from http://mmi.fem.sumdu.edu.ua/sites/default/files/mmi2015_1_107_123.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Redzjuk, E. V. (2006). Marketynh innovacijnyx posluh v systemi transportu Ukrajiny (na prykladi naukovo-doslidnyx instytutiv sfery transportu) [Marketing of innovative services in the transport system of Ukraine (on the example of research institutes of the sphere of transport)] (Doctoral dissertation, Uzhhorod National University) [Abstract]. (UMI No. 08.06.01) [in Ukrainian].
- Drʹomin, M. S. (2006). Marketynh u sferi transportnyx posluh (na prykladi pidpryjemstv zaliznyčnoho transportu) [Marketing in the field of transport services (for example, rail transport enterprises)] (Doctoral dissertation, Kyiv National Economics University named after Vadym Hetman) [Abstract]. (UMI No. 08.06.01) [in Ukrainian].
- Kreisman, Е. А. (2002). Udoskonalennya metodyky orhanizatsiyi avtobusnykh perevezenʹ v transportniy systemi mist [Improvement of the methodology of the organization of bus transportation in the transport system of cities] (Doctoral dissertation, , Kyiv National Transport University [Abstract]. (UMI No. 05.22.01) [in Ukrainian].
- Aksenov, I. M. (2013). Orhanyzacyja marketynha na obъektax transporta [Organization of marketing on objects of transport]: Monograph. Khmelnitsky: KhNU [in Russian].
- Oklander, M. A., & Zharska, I. O. (2010). Marketynhovi aspekty reformuvannja zaliznyčnoho transportu [Marketing aspects of rail transport reform]: Monograph. Odessa: Astroprint [in Ukrainian].
- Hajretdynova, R. S. (2014). Teoretycheskye osnovy koncepcyy «umnyi horod» y osobennosty jeje adaptacyy v rehyone [Theoretical foundations of the concept of “smart city” and its features adaptation in the region]. Russian Entrepreneurship, (20 (266)), 101-106 [in Russian].
- Caragliu, A., Del Bo, C., & Nijkamp, P. (2009). Smart cities in Europe. In Proceedings of the 3rd Central European Conference in Regional Science(pp. 49-59). Košice, Slovak Republic. Retrieved September 25, 2018, from http://www.cers.tuke.sk/cers2009/PDF/01_03_Nijkamp.pdf.
- Dickey, M. R. (2013, December 18). That Helps You Avoid Crowded Subways and Buses, Just Raised $28 Million. Business Insider. Retrieved September 25, 2018, from http://www.businessinsider. com/moovit raises-28-million-2013-12.
- Carvalho, L. (2015). Smart cities from scratch? A socio-technical perspective. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, (8), 43-60.
- Hollands, R. (2015). Critical interventions into the corporate smart city. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, (8), 61-77.
- Giffinger, R., & Gudrun, H. (2010). Smart cities ranking: An effective instrument for the positioning of cities? (4 (12)), 7-25. Retrieved September 25, 2018, from http://upcommons.upc.edu/revistes/bitstream/2099/8550/7/A CE_12_SA_10.pdf.
- Nowicka, K. (2014). Smart City logistics on cloud competing model. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 151, 266-281.
- Cronin, J. J., & Hightower, R. J. (2004). An Evaluation of the Role of Marketing in Public Transit Organizations. Journal of Public Transportation,7(2). Retrieved August 20, 2018, from https://www.nctr.usf.edu/jpt/pdf/JPT 7-2 Hightower.pdf.
- Borysova, T. M. (2016). Marketynh nekomercijnyx subjektiv: teoretyčno-metodolohični aspekty [Marketing of non-profit subjects: Theoretical and methodological aspects]: Monograph. Ternopil: Pidruchnyky i posibnyky [in Ukrainian].
- Letter from the Vinnitsa City Council No. 01-00-019-13316 dated March 26, 2018.
- Letter from the Dnipro City Council No. 5 / 3-339 dated March 27, 2018.
- Letter from the Zhytomyr City Council No. 17 / 3216 dated May 07, 2018.
- Letter from Ivano-Frankivsk City Council No. 20 / 01-20 / 1072 dated March 26, 2018.
- Letter from the Kyiv City Council (Kyiv City State Administration) No. 053-1707 dated March 02, 2018.
- Letter from the Mykolaiv municipal enterprise of city electric transport «Mykolaivelectrotrans» No. 467 dated March 06, 2018.
- Letter from the Zaporizhzhya municipal enterprise of city electric transport «Zaporizheelectrotrans» No. 19 / 4-775 dated March 28, 2018.
- Letter from the Lutsk City Council No. 0-26 / 198 dated March 23, 2018.
- Letter from the Lviv City Council No. 2503-877 dated March 7, 2018.
- Letter from the City Council of Kropivnitsky No. 145 / 07 dated March 01, 2018.
- Letter from the Odessa City Council No.12/01-42-1С(ZP-ch) dated March 20, 2018.
- Letter from the Poltava City Council No. 13-24 / zi-5 dated March 01, 2018.
- Letter from the Rivne City Council No. 13-16 dated March 5, 2018.
- Letter from the Sumy City Council No. 98 / 03.02.03-02 dated March 22, 2018.
- Letter from the Ternopil City Council No. 955 / 01-10 dated March 27, 2018.
- Letter from the Uzhgorod City Council No. 115 / 03-23 dated March 14, 2018.
- Letter from the Kharkiv City Council No. 55 / 0 / 188-18 dated March 27, 2018.
- Letter from the Kherson City Council No. 8-2291-18 / 23 dated March 28, 2018.
- Letter from Khmelnytsky City Council No. 12-0986-02-18 dated March 21, 2018.
- Letter from the Cherkasy City Council No. 19531-01-9 dated March 02, 2018.
- Letter from the Chernivtsi City Council No. 03/01-11/1121 dated March 22, 2018.
- Letter from the Chernihiv City Council No.1-24/1-57/76 dated March 19, 2018.
- Wymer, W. J., Knowles, P., & Gomes, R. (2006). Nonprofit Marketing: Marketing Management for Charitable and Nongovernmental Organizations. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.
- Walters, C. (2017). The voice of today’s passenger. Eurotransport,15(1), 8-9.
- Everitt, V. (2017). Capitalising on emerging data. Eurotransport,15(2), 27.
- Nunes, A. A., Galvão, T., & Cunha, J. F. (2014). Urban public transport service co-creation: Leveraging passenger’s knowledge to enhance travel experience. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences,(111), 577-585.
- Public Transport Trends 2017. (n.d.). Retrieved August 20, 2018, from URL: http://www.uitp.org/public-transport-trends.
- Umpleby, G. (2017). How passenger information contributes to passenger satisfaction. Eurotransport,15(4), 17-19.
- Ministerstvo infrastruktury initsiiuie zminy do pravyl nadannia posluh pasazhyrskoho avtomobilnoho transportu [The Ministry of Infrastructure initiates amendments to the rules for the provision of passenger road transport services]. (2018, August 17). Retrieved August 20, 2018, from URL: https://mtu.gov.ua/news/30077.html [in Ukrainian].
- Borysova, T. M. (2017). Otsinka yakisnykh parametriv posluh nadavachiv miskoho hromadskoho transportu Ternopolia rezultaty empirychnoho doslidzhennia [Estimation of quality parameters of the public transportation services by Ternopil customers: Results of empirical study]. Ukrainian Journal of Applied Economics,2(3), 8-15 [in Ukrainian].