Albalqa Applied University (Jordan)
This study provides an understanding of how the use of Internet-based technologies can affect the quality of business-to-business marketing relationships in the Jordanian Banking industry. It investigates the relationships of Jordanian Banks with their small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) customers in terms of commitment, satisfaction, trust, communication, transparency, understanding, and cooperation. It examines how the use of Internet-based communications can affect the quality of corporate customer relationships by developing a conceptual model which empirically tests the relationships between Jordanian Banks and SMEs. This research builds and validates a research model based on the literature survey and uses a mixed method approach. Qualitative data were gathered through in-depth interviews to achieve the goal of refining the initial research model. The second stage is a quantitative empirical study that uses a questionnaire and tests the empirical model generated in the first stage. This integration of methods provides a more complete view of this emerging area of marketing theory. This research finds that online banking has a positive impact on Relationship Quality (RQ) in a business-to-business context in Jordan. Six different constructs of Relationship Quality were found to be critical in this research: trust, commitment, satisfaction, transparency, communication, understanding and cooperation. The importance of transparency emerged as one of the most significant determinants of Relationship Quality, which is considered to be a new finding and not common among previous studies. Communication appears to make the biggest contribution overall and have direct and indirect relationships with other variables. It is, therefore, a major contributor to the success of Relationship Quality and further increases the importance of using e-banking technology.
Keywords: marketing relationship quality, business to business relationships, online banking, small and medium enterprises, transparency, Jordan.
JEL Classification: M31, M37.
Cite as: Alnsour, M. (2018). Internet-based relationship quality: a model for Jordanian business-to-business context. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 161-178. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2018.4-15
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Abdul-Muhmin, A. G. 2005. Instrumental and interpersonal determinants of relationship satisfaction and commitment in industrial markets Journal of Business Research,58,619-628.
- Akkermans, H., Bogerd, P. & Doremalen, J. V. 2004. Travail, transparency and trust: A case study of computer-supported collaborative supply chain planning in high-tech electronics. European Journal of Operational Research,153,445–456.
- Ballantyne, D. 2000. Internal relationship marketing: a strategy for knowledge renewal. The international journal of bank marketing,18,274-286.
- Baumgartnera, H. & Homburgb, C. 1996. Applications of structural equation modeling in marketing and consumer research: A review. International Journal of Research in Marketing 13,139-161.
- Berry, L. L. & Parasuraman, A. 1991. Marketing Services: Competing Through Quality, New York, The Free Press.
- Bilgihan, A. & Bujisic, M. 2015. The effect of website features in online relationship marketing: A case of online hotel booking. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications,14,222-232.
- Bojei, J., Julian, C. C., Wel, C. A. B. C. & Ahmed, Z. U. 2013. The empirical link between relationship marketing tools and consumer retention in retail marketing. Journal of Consumer Behaviour,12,171-181.
- Bontis, N., Booker, l. D. & Serenko, A. 2007. The mediating effect of organizational reputation on customer loyalty and service recommendation in the banking industry. Management Decision,45,1426-1445.
- Bosch, a. L. M. V. D., Jong, M. D. T. D. & Elving, W. J. L. 2005. How corporate visual identity supports reputation. Corporate Communications: An International Journal,10,108-116.
- Brashear, T. G., Boles, J. S., Bellenger, D. N. & BROOKS, C. M. 2003. An empirical test of trust-building processes and outcomes in sales manager-salesperson relationships. Academy of Marketing Science. Journal,31,189-201.
- Caceres, R. C. & Paparoidamis, N. G. 2007. Service quality, relationship satisfaction, trust, commitment and business-to-business loyalty. European Journal of Marketing,41,836-867.
- Chaston, I. & Baker, S. 1998. Relationship influencers: determination of affect in the provision of advisory services to SME sector firms. Journal of European Industrial Training,22,249.
- Chen, Q., Chen, H.-M. & Kazman, R. 2007. Investigating antecedents of technology acceptance of initial eCRM users beyond generation X and the role of self-construal Electronic Commerce Research,7,315-339.
- Chin, W. W. 1998. The Partial Least Squares Approach to Structural Equation Modeling. In G. A. Marcoulides (Ed.), Modern Methods for Business Research Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum Associates.
- Colgate, M., Buchanan-Oliver, M. & Elmsly, R. 2005. Relationship benefits in an internet environment. Managing service quality,15,426.
- Crosby, L. A., Evans, K. R. & Cowles, D. 1990. Relationship Quality in Services Selling: An Interpersonal Influence Perspective. The Journal of marketing,54,68-81.
- Currivan, D. B. 1999. The Causal Order of Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment in Models of Employee Turnover. Human Resource Management Review,9,495-524.
- Davis, F. D. 1989. Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technologies. MIS Quarterly,13,319-340.
- Devaraja, S., Fan, M. & Kohli, R. 2006. Examination of online channel preference: Using the structure-conduct-outcome frameworkstar, open Decision Support Systems,42,1089-1103.
- Duncan, T. & Moriarty, S. E. 1998. A communication-based marketing model for managing relationships. journal of marketing,62,1-13.
- Durkin, M. G. & Howcroft, B. 2003. Relationship marketing in the banking sector: The impact of new technologies. Marketing Intelligence & Planning,21,61 (11 pages).
- Dwyer, F. R., Schurr, P. H. & OH, S. 1987. Developing Buyer-Seller Relationships. The Journal of marketing,51,11.
- Eggert, A. & Helm, S. 2003. Exploring the impact of relationship transparency on business relationships: A cross-sectional study among purchasing managers in Germany Industrial Marketing Management,32,101-108
- EJADA. 2007. Financial Support for SMEs [Online]. Available: http://www.ejada.jo/services/financial/loan.htm [Accessed 10/01/2007 2007].
- Fornell, C. & Larcker., D. F. 1981. Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Erro. Journal of Marketing Research,56,519-538.
- Garbarino, E. & Johnson, M. S. 1999. The different roles of satisfaction, trust, and commitment in customer relationships. Journal of Marketing,63,70.
- Gilmore, A., Gallagher, D. & Henry, S. 2007. E-marketing and SMEs: operational lessons for the future. European Business Review,19,234-247.
- Gustafsson, A., Johnson, M. D. & Roos, I. 2005. The Effects of Customer Satisfaction, Relationship Commitment Dimensions, and Triggers on Customer Retention. Journal of Marketing,69,210-218.
- Hair, J. F., Black, B., Babin, B., Anderson, R. E. & Tatham, R. L. 2005. Multivariate Data Analysis, Upper Saddle River, NJ., Pearson Education Prentice-Hall,.
- Harrison-Walker, L. J. & Neeley, S. E. 2004. Customer relationship building on the internet in b2b marketing: a proposed typology. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice,12,19.
- Hennig-Thurau, T., Gwinner, K. P. & Gremler, D. D. 2002. Understanding Relationship Marketing Outcomes: An Integration of Relational Benefits and Relationship Quality. Journal of service research,4,230.
- Hernandez, J. M. C. & Mazzon, J. A. 2007. Adoption of internet banking: proposition and implementation of an integrated methodology approach. International Journal of Bank Marketing,25,72-88.
- Hess, J. & Story, J. 2005. Trust-based commitment: multidimensional consumer-brand relationships. Journal of Consumer Marketing,22,313-322.
- Hudson, s., Roth, M. S., Madden, T. J. & Hudson, R. 2015. The effects of social media on emotions, brand relationship quality, and word of mouth: An empirical study of music festival attendees. Tourism Management,47,68-76.
- Hulland, J. 1999. Use Of Partial Least Squares (Pls) In Strategic Management Research: A Review Of Four Recent Studies. Strategic Management Journal,20,195-204.
- Jahansoozi, J. 2006. Organization-stakeholder relationships: exploring trust and transparency. Journal of Management Development,25,942-955
- Jahng, J. J., JAIN, H. & Ramamurthy, K. 2000. Effective design of electronic commerce environment: a proposed theory of congruence and an illustration. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetices—Part A: Systems and Humans,30,456-471.
- JDSAR 2006. Jordanian Department of Statistics Annual Report (original in Arabic).
- Jordan Ahli Bank. 2007. MY BUSINESS [Online]. Available: http://www.ahli.com/my_business_sme.shtm [Accessed 10/01/2007 2007].
- Jordanian Ministry Of Planning & International Cooperation. 2007. Access to Finance in Jordan [Online]. Available: http://www.mop.gov.jo/uploads/Access%20to%20Finance%20Discussion%20Paper%20final_arabic.pdf. [Accessed 10/01/2007 2007].
- Kaynak, E., Tatoglu, E. & Kula, V. 2005. An analysis of the factors affecting the adoption of electronic commerce by SMEs: Evidence from an emerging market. International Marketing Review,22,623-640.
- Keating, B., Rugimbana, R. & Quazi, A. 2003. Differentiating between service quality and relationship quality in cyberspace. Managing Service Quality,13,217.
- Kesharwani, A. & Singh Bisht, S. 2012. The impact of trust and perceived risk on internet banking adoption in India: An extension of technology acceptance model. International Journal of Bank Marketing,30,303-322.
- Koh, S. C. L. & Maguire, S. 2004. Identifying the adoption of e-business and knowledge management within SMEs. Journal of small business and enterprise development,11,338-348.
- Kolsaker, A. & Payne, C. 2002. Engendering trust in e-commerce: a study of gender-based concerns. Marketing Intelligence & Planning,20,206-214.
- Kumar, K. & Becerra-Fernandez, I. 2007. Interaction technology: Speech act based information technology support for building collaborative relationships and trust Decision Support Systems,43,584-606
- Lacey, R. & Morgan, R. M. 2009. Customer advocacy and the impact of B2B loyalty programs. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing,24,3-13.
- Lapczynski, P. H. & Calloway, L. J. 2006. A Scheme of Technology Acceptance for Mobile Computing in Mehdi Khosrow-Pour (Ed.). Emerging Trends and Challenges in Information Technology Management: IRMA International Conference.Washington, DC, USA,
- Leach, M. 2009. Examining exchange relationships among high-tech firms in the evolving global economy. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing,24,78-85.
- Leonidou, L. C., Palihawadana, D. & Theodosiou, M. 2006. An integrated model of the behavioural dimensions of industrial buyer-seller relationships. European Journal of Marketing,40.
- Liang, C.-J., Wang, W.-H. & Farquhar, J. D. 2009. The influence of customer perceptions on financial performance in financial services. International Journal of Bank Marketing,27,129-149.
- Makris, C., Panagis, Y., Sakkopoulos, E. & Tsakalidis, A. 2006. Efficient and adaptive discovery techniques of Web Services handling large data sets. Journal of Systems and Software,79,480-495
- Mccloskey, D. W. 2006. The Importance of Ease of Use, Usefulness, and Trust to Online Consumers: An Examination of the Technology Acceptance Model with Older Consumers. Journal of Organizational and End User Computing,18,47-66.
- Morgan, R. M. & Hunt, S. D. 1994. The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing. Journal of Marketing,58,20.
- Moriarty, J., Jones, R. & Rowley, J. 2008. Marketing in small hotels: a qualitative study. Marketing Intelligence & Planning,26,293-315.
- Ndubisi, N. O. 2006. A structural equation modelling of the antecedents of relationship quality in the Malaysia banking sector. 11,131.
- Ngai, E. W. T. 2003. Internet marketing research (1987-2000): a literature review and classification. European Journal of Marketing,37,24-49.
- O’leary, C., Rao, S. & Perry, C. 2004. Improving customer relationship management through database/Internet marketing: A theory-building action research project. European journal of marketing,38,338-354.
- O’toole, T. 2003. E-relationships–emergence and the small firm. Marketing intelligence & planning,21,115.
- Palmer, R., Lindgreen, A. & Vanhamme, J. 2005. Relationship marketing: schools of thought and future research directions. Marketing intelligence & planning,23,313.
- Perry, C., Cavaye, A. & Coote, L. 2002. Technical and social bonds within business-to-business relationships. The journal of business & industrial marketing,17,75.
- Poon, W.-C. 2008. Users’ adoption of e-banking services: the Malaysian perspective. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing,23,59-69.
- Ramsey, E. & Mccole, P. 2005. E-business in professional SMEs: the case of New Zealand. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development,12,528-544.
- Rao, S. & Perry, C. 2003. Convergent interviewing to build a theory in under-researched areas: principles and an example investigation of Internet usage in inter-firm relationships. Qualitative market research,6,236-247.
- Rauyruen, P. & Miller, K. E. 2007. Relationship quality as a predictor of B2B customer loyalty. Journal of Business Research,60,21-31.
- Rexha, N., Kingshott, R. P. J. & Aw, A. S. S. 2003. The impact of the relational plan on adoption of electronic banking. Journal of Services Marketing,17,53-67.
- Ringle, C. M. W., Sven/Will, Alexander 2005. SmartPLS 2.0 (beta). Hamburg, Germany: University of Hamburg.
- Samaha, S. A., Beck, J. T. & Palmatier, R. W. 2014. The role of culture in international relationship marketing. Journal of Marketing,78,78-98.
- Schaupp, L. C. & Carter, L. 2005. E-voting: from apathy to adoption. The Journal of Enterprise Information Management,18,586-601.
- Selnes, F. 1998. Antecedents and consequences of trust and satisfaction in buyer-seller relationships. European Journal of Marketing,32,305-322.
- Sheth, J. N. 2002. The future of relationship marketing. Journal of Services Marketing,16.
- Shiels, H., Mcivor, R. & O’reilly, D. 2003. Understanding the implications of ICT adoption: insights from SMEs. Logistics Information Management,16,312-326.
- Steinheider, B. Cooperation in Interdisciplinary R&D-Teams. Proceedings of the ISATA, 2000 Dublin, Ireland.
- Tassabehji, R. 2003. Applying e-commerce in business, London, Sage.
- Tennøy, A., Kværner, J. & Gjerstad, K. I. 2006. Uncertainty in environmental impact assessment predictions: the need for better communication and more transparency. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal,24,45-56.
- Tsiakis, T. & Sthephanides, G. 2005. The concept of security and trust in electronic payments Computers & Security,24,10-15.
- Ucok, O. 2006. Transparency, communication and mindfulness. The Journal of Management Development.,25,1024.
- Ulaga, W. & Eggert, A. 2006. Relationship value and relationship quality: Broadening the nomological network of business-to-business relationships.European journal of marketing,40,311.
- Verma, V., Sharma, D. & Sheth, J. 2016. Does relationship marketing matter in online retailing? A meta-analytic approach. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science,44,206-217.
- Walczuch, R., Lemmink, J. & Streukens, S. 2007. The effect of service employees’ technology readiness on technology. Information & Management,44,206-215.
- Woo, K.-S. & Ennew, C. T. 2004. Business-to-business relationship quality: an IMP interaction-based conceptualization and measurement. European Journal of Marketing,38,1252.
- Zineldin, M. & Jonsson, P. 2000. An examination of the main factors affecting trust/commitment in supplier-dealer relationships: an empirical study of the Swedish wood industry. The TQM Magazine,12,245-266.
- Zineldin, M. A. 1998. Towards an ecological collaborative relationship management: A “co-opetive” perspective. European Journal of Marketing,32,1138-1164.
- Zontanos, G. & Anderson, A. R. 2004. Relationships, marketing and small business: an exploration of links in theory and practice. Qualitative market research,7,228-236.