University of Entrepreneurship and Law (Czech Republic)
Monika Sobekova Majkova,
Pan-European University (Slovakia)
Small and medium-sized enterprises are facing many types of business risks, almost unknown or unimportant for the large companies, where the funding risk plays an essential role due to the importance of the need of the external financial sources for their growth. This paper investigates the impact of a size of the company and an age of the owner on the perception of the funding risk in the segment of small and medium-sized enterprises in Slovakia in response to the restraints in their access to credit finance. The results of the research specify the importance of these factors in determining the scope of the funding risk exposure on Slovak SMEs. The paper is based on the data from the scientific research carried out in 2016 in Slovakia among 438 companies. The data were analyzed by Pearson´s chi-square statistics, which allowed to confirm the existence of the statistically significant dependencies between the chosen factors and the perception of the funding risk. The presented statistical evidence confirms that the size of the company and the age of the owner are significant in relation to the funding risk of a company from the segment of SMEs. Smaller companies do perceive the funding risk more intensively than larger ones. The statistically significant impact of the selected factors on the frequency of bank loans rejection was confirmed only in case of the age of the owner, but not in case of the size of the company, when the entrepreneurs of the age between 36 and 45 declared the highest rejection rate of the loan applications. A surprising finding is that younger entrepreneurs are significantly more self-confident in case of the potentially negative influence of the funding risk on their companies than their older colleagues. The results of the research also confirm the existence of the statistically significant dependence between the selected factors and the reasons for the rejection of bank loans applications. We can declare that a credit rejection is most common in case of younger business owners but is not typical for the smaller companies. In the group of entrepreneurs aged between 36 and 45 years the most frequent reason was related to the negative values of the financial indicators, and in case of the oldest entrepreneurs the most often reasons of the rejection of the loan application were the lack of collateral, poor business plan and negative values of the financial indicators.
Keywords: credit risk, small and medium-sized enterprises, age, size, loan financing, bank financing, external finance, access to finance.
JEL Classification: G11, G32.
Cite as: Kljucnikov, A., & Majkova, M. S. (2018). Funding risk perception by Slovak SMEs: impact of age and size of the company. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 282-297. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2018.4-24
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Arenius, P. and Minniti, M. (2005). Perceptual Variables and Nascent Entrepreneurs. Small Business Economics, Vol. 24, 233-247.
- Badulescu, D. (2012). SMEs financing: The Extend of Need and the Responses of Different Credit Structures. Theoretical and Applied Economics, 17(7), 25-36
- Behr, P., Guttler, A. (2007). Credit Risk Assessment and Relationship Lendng: An Empirical Analysis of German Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises. Journal of Small Business Management,45 (2), 194 – 213.
- Behr, P., Norden, L., Noth, F. (2013). Financial Constraints of Private Firms and Bank Lending Behavior. Journal of Banking and Finance,37, 3472-3458.
- Belás, J., Bilan, Y., Ključnikov, A., Vincúrová, Z., Machaček, J. (2015) Actual Problems Of Business Risk In Sme Segment. Case Study From Slovakia. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge. 1/2015, v3. DOI: 10.1515/ijek-2015-0010.
- Belas, J., Sopkova, G. (2016). A model of entrepreneurial orientation. Transformations in Business and Economics, 15(2B), 630-644.
- Belás, J., Vojtovič, S., Ključnikov, A. (2016). Microenterprises and significant risk factors in loan process. Economics and Sociology, 9(1), 43-59. doi:10.14254/2071-789X.2016/9-1/3
- Bena, J., Ondko, P. (2012). Financial development and the allocation of external finance. Journal of Empirical Finance, 19(1), 1-25
- Bitler, M.P., Robb, A.M., Wolken, J.D., (2001). Financial Services Used by Small Businesses: Evidence from the 1998 Survey of Small Business Finances. Federal Reserve Bulletin, April, 183-205
- Bhaird, C.M. (2010). Resourcing Small and Medium Sized Enterprises. Springer Verlag: Berlin, 2010.
- Bougheas, S., Mizen, P., Yalcin, C. (2006). Access to external finance: Theory and evidence on the impact of monetary policy and firm-specific characteristics. Journal of Banking and Finance, 30(1), 199-227
- Bonte, W., Falck, O. and Heblich, H. (2007). Demography and Innovative Entrepreneurship. The Jena Economic Research papers, 2007-084.
- Bottazzi, G., Secchi, A., Tamagni, F. (2014). Financial constraints and firm dynamics. Small Business Economics,42(1), 99-116
- Brunow, S. and Hirte, G. (2006). Age Structure and Regional Economic Growth. Review of Regional Research, 26, 3-26
- Cepel, M., Stasiukynas, A., Kotaskova, A., Dvorsky, J. (2018). Business Environment Quality Index in the SME Segment. Journal of Competitiveness,Vol. 10, Issue 1, pp. 21-40. DOI: 10.7441/joc.2018.02.02
- Cheng, ME, Tang, Y. (2012). Research on the Small and Medium-sized Enterprises Financing Problems. Proceedings of the sixth international symposium – The development of small and medium-sized enterprises, Dec 15 – 19, 93-97.
- Colombo, M., Cumming, D. J., Vismara. S. (2016). Governmental venture capital for innovative young firms. The Journal of Technology Transfer, 41(10), pp. 10-24. DOI:10.1007/s10961-014-9380-9.
- Dobeš, K., Kot, S., Kramoliš, J., Sopková, G. (2017). The Perception of Governmental Support in The Context of Competitiveness of SMEs in the Czech Republic. Journal of Competitiveness, Vol. 9, Issue 3, pp. 34-50. DOI: 10.7441/joc.2017.03.03
- Dong, Y., Men, Ch. (2014) SME financing in emerging markets. Emerging Markets Finance & Trade,Jan/Feb2014, 50(1), 120-149.
- Fetisovová, E., Hucová, E., Nagy, L., Vlachynský, K. (2012) Aktuálne Problémy financií malých a stredných podnikov. Bratislava: Ekonóm.
- Henderson, J., Weiler, S. (2010). Entrepreneurs and job growth: probing the boundaries of time and space, Economic Development Quarterly, 24(1), 23 – 32.
- Hernández-Cánovas, G., Martínez-Solano, P. (2010). Relationship lending and SME financing in the continental European bank-based system. Small Business Economics. 34(4), pp. 465-482
- Gambini, A, Zazzaro, A. (2013) Long-lasting bank relationships and growth of firms. SmallBusEcon, 40, 977-1007.
- Hajduová, Z., Andrejkovič, M., Mura, L. (2014) Utilizing experiments designed results during error identification and improvement of business processes. Acta Polytechnica Hungarica, Vol. 11, No. 2, 2014, pp. 149-166 ISSN 1785-8860
- Irwin, D. and Scott, J.M., (2010). Barriers faced by SMEs in raising bank finance.International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research, 16(9), 245-259.
- Jakubec, V., Sobeková Majková, M. Solík, J. (2012). Potreby mladých podnikateľov a prekážky v ich podnikaní.ZMPS: Bratislava. ISBN 978-80-970916-4-4.
- Karpak, B., Topcu, I. (2010). Small medium manufacturing enterprices in Turkey: an analytic network process framework for prioritizing factors affecting success. International Journal of Production Economics,125, 60 – 70.
- Ključnikov, A., Belás, J. (2016). Approaches of Czech Entrepreneurs to Debt Financing and Management of Credit Risk. Equilibrium. Quarterly Journal of Economics and Economic Policy,11(2), 343-365. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12775/ EQUIL.2016.016
- Ključnikov, A., Belás, J., Smrčka, L. (2016a). The role of risk-taking and competitive aggressiveness in management of SMEs. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 14(1), 129-139. doi:10.17512/pjms.2016.14.1.12
- Ključnikov, A., Belás, J., Kozubíková, L., Paseková, P. (2016b).The Entreprenurial Perception of SME Business Environment Quality in the Czech Republic. Journal of Competitiveness,Vol. 8, Issue 1, pp. 66-78. DOI: 10.7441/joc.2016.01.05
- Kozubíková, L., Homolka, L., Kristalas, D. (2017). The Effect of Business Environment and Entrepreneurs’ Gender on Perception of Financial Risk in The Smes Sector. Journal of Competitiveness, Vol. 9, Issue 1, pp. 36-50. DOI: 10.7441/joc.2017.01.03
- Kozubíková, L., Dvorský, J., Cepel, M. & Balcerzak, A. P. (2017). Important characteristics of an entrepreneur in relation to risk taking: Czech Republic case study. Journal of International Studies, 10(3), 220-233. doi:10.14254/2071-8330.2017/10-3/16
- Lazányi, K. (2014). Entrepreneurs of the future.Serbial Journal of Management, 9(2), 149-158
- Levesque, M. and Minniti, M. (2011). Age Matters: How Demographics Influence Aggregate Entrepreneurship.Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 5, 255-284.
- Majková, M. (2008). Možnosti financovania malých a stredných podnikov v SR (Analýza štandardného a alternatívneho financovania malých a stredných podnikov v podmienkach SR). Tribune: Brno. ISBN 978-80-7399-590-4.
- Mercieca, S., Schaeck, K., Wolfe, S. (2009). Bank Market Structure Competition and SME Financing Relationship in European Regions. Journal of Financial Services Research, 36 (2-3), 137-155.
- Mentel, G., Brożyna, J. (2015), Compatibility of market risk measures, Journal of International Studies, 8(2), 52-62. DOI: 10.14254/2071-8330.2015/8-2/5
- Mura, L., Gašparíková, V. (2010). Penetration of small and medium sized food companies on foreign markets. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, 58(3), 157-163.
- Neuberger, D., Räthke-Döppner, S. (2014). The role of demographic in small business loan pricing. Small Business Economics, 44(2), 411-424
- Oliveira, B., Fortunato, A. (2006). Firm Growth and Liquidity Constraints: A Dynamic Analysis. Small Business Economics, (27)2-3, 139-156
- Pickernell, D., Packham, G., Jones, P., Miller, C., Thomas, B. (2011). Graduate entrepreneurs are different: They access more resources? International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, 17(2), pp. 183-202.
- Rabbani, K., Moossa, M. (2014) Non-accessibility of Bank Financing to Newly Established SMEs. Pakistan Business Review, 16(2), 293-305.
- Riding, A., Orser, B.J., Spence, M., Belanger, B. (2012). Financing new venture exporters. Small Business Economics, 38(2), pp. 147-163
- Rostamkalaei, A., Freel, M. (2015). The cost of growth: small firms and the pricing of bank loans. Small Business Economics, 46(2), 255-272
- Seo, J. (2013). Are bank loans to SMEs procyclical? Evidence from an analysis of the lending behaviour of Korean banks. South African Journal of Business Management, 44(2), 67-86
- Shi, L. (2012.) The Factors of Affecting Financing and Countermeasures Based on Asymmetric Information and Marginal Information Cost. Information and Business Intelligence, PTI 267, 672-677.
- Slavec, A. (2014). Bank financing and trade credit use of Slovenian small firms: An empirical examination. Transformations in Business and Economics, 13(2), 91-101
- Slovak Business Agency (2016). SMEs Report 2015. Online available: http://www.sbagency.sk/sites/default/files/sprava_o_stave_msp_2015.pdf (7.3.2017)
- Simo, D., Mura, L., Buleca, J. (2016). Assessment of milk production competitiveness of the Slovak Republic within the EU-27 countries. Agricultural Economics-Zemedelska Ekonomika, Volume: 62, Issue: 10, pp. 482-492. ISSN 0139-570X
- Sobeková Majková, M. (2011). Analýza bariér a faktorov financovania malých a stredných podnikov v SR. Journal of Economics, 59 (10), 1028-1032
- Sobeková Majková, M. (2016). The Influence of the Selected Factors on Financial Risk Perception in Slovak SMEs. Actual problems of economics, 10(184), pp. 121 – 130
- Steinerowska-Streb, I., Steiner, A. (2014) An Analysis of External Availability on SMEs Decision Making. Thunderbird International Business Review, July/August 2014, 56(4), 373-386.
- Vojtovič, S. (2016).The Impact of The Structural Funds on Competitiveness of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises. Journal of Competitiveness,Vol. 8, Issue 4, pp. 30-45. DOI: 10.7441/joc.2016.04.02
- Vos, E., Yeh, A. J.-Y., Carter, S., Tagg, S. 2007. The happy story of small business financing. Journal of Banking and Finance. 31(9), 2648-2672
- Werner, A. & Faulenbach, N. 2008. Das Gründungsverhalten Älterer: Eine empirische Analyse mit den Daten des Gründerpanels des IfM Bonn, If M-Materialien Nr. 184, Bonn, unter Mitarbeit von Brockmeyer, A.