Polessky State University (Republic of Belarus)
Polessky State University (Republic of Belarus)
The 21st-century trend is the acceleration of scientific and technical progress in conditions of the amplifying competition between producers for free market niches and between countries for leadership. The ideal development model of the modern state is the economy based on knowledge and innovations. At the same time the human potential and other factors of competitive advantages, new technologies are actively involved in this economy. So, conditions for economic growth and life quality improvement are created. Innovative development demands an adequate financial base. Insufficient financing will cause difficulties in the realization of ideas which connected with the introduction of innovative technologies, the release of hi-tech production, the realization of scientific and technical state capacity. Finally, it may lead to technological lag against the increasing level of knowledge intensity in the word. Therefore, the problem of search for adequate innovative development financing becomes important both from the point of view of theoretical judgment and in practice. The purpose of the article is the identification of the place, role and value of the direct foreign investment of innovative development financing of the Republic of Belarus. The carried-out analysis has shown that foreign direct investments inflows differ in considerable fluctuations from year to year. Debt tools prevail in foreign direct investments inflows structure and the investment climate of the Republic of Belarus needs improvement. Dynamic of foreign direct investment inflows are presented in branch and regional section. It is offered to concentrate efforts on foreign direct investments attraction to the hi-tech sector development which is based on V and VI technological modes. It will allow not only to improve investment potential of Belarus but to carry out structural economic transformation on the innovative way. Authors connect further research prospects with studying how to activate scientific and technical international cooperation of the Republic of Belarus with foreign countries. The main interest is cooperation with leading countries in technological development to find out the opportunities of successful experience application in the organization of innovative development financing of the Republic of Belarus, including foreign direct investment inflows.
Keywords: innovative development, innovative activity, financing, foreign investment, foreign direct investment, investment climate, technological mode.
JEL Classification: E22, F21, G11, O31, Q55.
Cite as: Hrechyshkina, O., & Samakhavets, M. (2018). Importance of foreign direct investment in financing for innovative development of the Republic of Belarus. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 339-348. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2018.4-29
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Gusakov, V.G. (Eds.). (2015). Scientific forecast of economic development of the Republic of Belarus until 2030.Minsk.
- Fatkhutdinov, R.A. (2012). Innovative management]. (6th ed.). Sankt-Peterburg: Piter
- Shimov, V. (2014). Development of Belarusian economy: state, problems, the outline of promising information. Belarusian Economic Journal,2,4-15.
- National Strategy for Sustainable Social and Economic Development of the Republic of Belarus for the period until 2030, approved by the Presidium of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus. (2015). Economic Bulletin of the Institute of the Economy Research Institute of the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Belarus, 4,6-97
- Cornell University, INSEAD, and WIPO. (2018). The Global Innovation Index 2018: Energizing the World with Innovation. Ithaca, Fontainebleau, and Geneva: Cornell University, INSEAD, and WIPO.
- Miasnikovich, M.V. (2017). Actual agenda for the development of the Belarusian economy in the context of integration. Minsk: Belaruskaia navuka.
- Nikitenko, P.G. (2014). Model of the new economic mode development is an innovative creative strategy for the sustainable vital functions of Belarus in conditions of globalization. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus,1,119-125
- Grechishkina, E.A. (2016). Innovations and knowledge: a cluster approach to regional development. Regional innovation cluster: concepts, experience, problems, development prospects. L.E. Sovik, T.V. Bozhidarnik (Ed.). Pinsk : PolesGU.
- Nekhorosheva, L.N., & Khostilovich, E. (2015). Kontseptualnye podkhody, metody i instrumenty klasternoi politiki v Respublike Belarus i Polshe: sravnitelnyi analiz [Conceptual approaches, methods and instruments of cluster policies in Belarus and Poland: a comparative analysis]. Belorusskii ekonomicheskii zhurnal – Belarusian Economic Journal, 4,4-22 [in Russian].
- Drucker, P.F. (1999). Management challenges for the 21st century.(1st ed.).New York, HarperBusiness.
- Calіnescu, T.V., & Nedobiega, O.O., & Natalenko, M.O. (2012). Innovations in the socio-economic development of the region’s enterprises. T.V. Calіnescu (Ed.); Skhіdnoukr. nats. un-t іm. Volodymyra Dalia. – Lugansk: SNU іm. V. Dalia [in Ukrainian].
- Janasz, K. (2010). Capital and financing innovation processes in enterprises in Poland: selected aspects. Perspectives of Innovations, Economics and Business, Vol. 1, B. 4,pp. 26-28.
- Melane-Lavadoa A., Álvarez-Herranza A., González-Gonzálezb I. (2018) Foreign direct investment as a way to guide the innovative process towards sustainability. Journalof cleaner production, Vol. 172, 3578-3590.
- Alfaro, L., & Chauvin, J. (2016). Foreign Direct Investment, Finance, and Economic Development. Chapter for the Encyclopedia of International Economics and Global Trade, Forthcoming. Retrieved from: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2908440.
- Samokhovets, M. P., & Kravtsova, N. I. (2014). Prospects for Attracting Financial Resources in International Markets by the Republic of Belarus. Studies on Russian Economic Development, Vol. 25, 3, 291-295.
- Samokhovets, M. P. Rol finansovogo rynka v investitsionnoi politike [Role of the financial market in investment policy]. Belorusskii ekonomicheskii zhurnal – Belarusian Economic Journal, 2,45-56 [in Russian].
- Program of social and economic development of the Republic of Belarus for 2016-2020. Retrieved from http://www.government.by/upload/docs/program_ek2016-2020.pdf. [in Russian].
- Separate statistical indicators of the activities of organizations of the Republic of Belarus, established with the participation of foreign legal entities or individuals for 2016]. (2017). Minsk: Nats. stat. komitet Resp. Belarus
- Foreign direct investment: Inward and outward flows and stock, annual, 1970-2017. (2018). unctadstat.unctad.org. Retrieved from http://unctadstat.unctad.org/wds/ReportFolders/reportFolders.aspx.
- The National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus]. (2018). Foreign investments in the Republic of Belarus. Retrieved from http://www.belstat.gov.by./ofitsialnaya-statistika/makroekonomika-i-okruzhayushchaya-sreda/finansy/godovye-dannye_14/inostrannye-investitsii-v-respubliku-belarus/
- Medvedeva, I.V. (Eds.). (2017). Statistical Yearbook 2017. Minsk: Nats. stat. komitet Resp. Belarus.
- Utiupin, P. (2017). On the advantages of Belarus for investors, privatization and improving the business climate. Belarus News: Belarusian Telegraph Agency. Retrieved from http://www.belta.by/interview/view/o-preimuschestvah-belarusi-dlja-investorov-privatizatsii-i-uluchshenii-biznes-klimata-5768/
- Drucker, P.F. (1986). Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles. (1st ed.). New York: HarperCollins Publishers.
- Ukaz Prezidenta Respubliki Belarus ot 31.01.2017 №31 “O gosudarstvennoi programme innovatsionnogo razvitiia Respubliki Belarus na 2016-2020 gg.” s izm. i dop. [Decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus No. 31 “On the State Program of Innovative Development of the Republic of Belarus for 2016-2020” dated 31.01.2017, as amended and supplemented]. Retrieved from http://www.zakon.by/document/?guid=12551&p0= P31700031&p1=1 [in Russian].
- Opportunities for privatization. (2018).Retrieved from http://www.investinbelarus.by/privatization-opportunities/
- Belarusian Investment Forum in Minsk, September 28-29, 2017. Retrieved fromhttp://www.investinbelarus.by/events/bif/
- Ease of Doing Business in Belarus. (2018). doingbusiness.org.Retrieved fromhttp://doingbusiness.org/data/exploreeconomies/belarus.
- Site of the Ministry of Industry of the Republic of Belarus. Retrieved fromhttp://www.minprom.gov.by/privatizacia.