Core aim of this study is to propose an approach to quantitate estimation of indices-based information subject to necessities of the National Risk Assessment (NRA) of money laundering and terrorist financing (ML/TF) risks. Through mathematical formalization analysis for Ukraine based on 11 indices and indicators for years 2011-2015 subject to core areas of the overall situation in a country considered within its NRA was carried out.
Authors’ contribution covers scientific novelty that is a first-time analysis of the general situation of a jurisdiction in light of the NRA’s requirements based on joint consideration of various indices and setting priority to areas of the overall country’s situation in the framework of conducted calculations.
It was concluded that proposed approach is a valuable instrument for assessing priority of areas of the overall situation in the country for the NRA’s purposes through a formalized mechanism ensuring high objectiveness.
Practical significance of this study is a possibility to reach higher efficiency in allocation of available resources for the participants of the NRA, in particular to reduce some costs considering flexibility of the approach allowing consideration of significant volumes of information, its updating and comparison. This research could become a starting point for further research. Considering complexity of existing indices, there is a necessity to study mechanism of their correlation and mutual influence, to analyze elasticity and joint behavior discover the areas of preferable influence on large range of purposes not only limited to the MRA of ML/TF risks.
Keywords: national risk assessment, money laundering, terrorist financing, risks, indices.
JEL Classification: F50.
Cite as: Dmytrov, S., Medvid, T. (2017). An approach to the use of indices-based analysis subject to money laundering and terrorist financing national risk assessment SocioEconomic Challenges, 1(1), 35-47. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.2017.1-04.
- The FATF Recommendations. The FATF (2012). Retrieved from http://www.fatf-gafi.org/me-dia/fatf/documents/recommendations/pdfs/FATF_Recommendations.pdf.
- Global Terrorism Index Report (2015). Institute for Economics & Peace. November 2015. p. 2. Retrieved from http://126.96.36.199/assets/2015%20Global%20Terrorism%20Index%20Report_2.pdf.
- The Methodology behind the Index. The Fund for Peace. Retrieved from http://fsi.fundforpeace.org/methodology.
- Guidance on National Risk Assessment. The FATF (February 2013). Retrieved from http://www.fatf-gafi.org/media/fatf/content/images/National_ML_TF_Risk_Assessment.pdf.
- National Risk Assessment report on preventing and countering legalization (laundering) of proceeds of crime and financing of terrorism 2016. The State Financial Monitoring Service of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www.sdfm.gov.ua/content/file/Site_docs/2017/20170113/nra.pdf.
- Assessment of Inherent Risks of Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing in Canada (2015). Department of Finance of Canada. Retrieved from http://www.fin.gc.ca/pub/mltf-rpcfat/index-eng.asp.
- Malaysia’s National Risk Assessment. Bank Negara Malaysia. Retrieved from http://am-lcft.bnm.gov.my/document/Malaysia_NRA.pdf.
- Singapore National Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Risk Assessment Report (2013). Ministry of Home Affairs of Singapore. Ministry of Finance of Singapore. Monetary Authority of Singapore. Retrieved from http://www.mof.gov.sg/portals/0/data/cmsresource/Press%20Release/2013/Singapore%20NRA%20 Report.pdf.
- National Risk Assessment for Ireland. Money laundering and terrorist financing. The AMLSC. Retrieved from http://www.finance.gov.ie/sites/default/files/NRA%20FINAL%20for%20Publication.pdf.
- The World Bank Database. Retrieved from http://data.worldbank.org/.
- Illicit Financial Flows from Developing Countries: 2003-2014. Global Financial Integrity. Retrieved from http://www.gfintegrity.org/report/illicit-financial-flows-from-developing-countries-2004-2013/.
- UK National Risk Assessment of Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing 2015. HM Treasury. Home Office. Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/ attachment_data/file/468210/UK_NRA_October_2015_final_web.pdf.
- National Risk Assessment of Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing. December 2014. Working Group on the National Risk Assessment of Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing of Liaison Con-ference of Related Ministries and Agencies for Implementation of FATF Recommendations. Retrieved from https://www.npa.go.jp/sosikihanzai/jafic/en/nenzihokoku_e/data/jafic_e.pdf.
- OSCE Handbook on Data Collection in Support of Money Laundering and Terrorism Financing, National Risk Assessments. Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe. October 16, 2012. Retrieved from http://www.osce.org/eea/96398?download=true.
- The International Monetary Fund Staffs’ ML/FT National Risk Assessment Methodology. Retrieved from www.fatf-gafi.org/media/fatf/documents/reports/Risk_Assessment_IMF.pdf.
- The World Bank Risk Assessment Methodology. Retrieved from www.fatf-gafi.org/media/fatf/documents/reports/Risk_Assessment_World_Bank.pdf.
- John Walker (1995). Modeling Global Money Laundering Flows – some findings.
- Donato Masciandaro, Andrew W. Mullineux & Victor Murinde (2003). Economics of Money Laundering: A Primer.
- Masciandaro, D. (1998). Money Laundering Regulation: The Microeconomics. Journal of Money Laun-dering Control, 2(1), 49-58.
- Masciandaro, D. (1996). Pecunia olet? Microeconomia del riciclaggio bancario e finanziario. Rivista In-ternazionale di Scienze Economiche e Commerciali, 43, 817-844.
- Masciandaro, D., Takats, E., Unger, B. (2007). Black Finance. The Economics of Money. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- Unger et al.(2006).The Amounts and the Effects of Money Laundering, Report for the Ministry of Finance, Amsterdam. Retrieved from www.rijksoverheid.nl/bestanden/documenten-en-publicaties/rappor-ten/2006/02/16/onderzoeksrapport-the-amounts-and-the-effects-of-money-laundering/witwassen-in-ne-derland-onderzoek-naar-criminele-geldstromen.pdf.
- Unger, B., Addink, H., Walker, J., Ferwerda, J., Van den Broek, M., Deleanu, I. (2013). Project ‘ECOLEF’ The Economic and Legal Effectiveness of Anti-Money Laundering and Combating Terrorist Financing Policy Final Report. Retrieved from http://www2.econ.uu.nl/users/unger/ecolef_files/Fi-nal%20ECOLEF%20report%20(digital%20version).pdf.
- Global Peace Index 2015. The Institute for Economics and Peace. Retrieved from http://econom-icsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Global-Peace-Index-Report-2015_0.pdf.
- Global Peace Index 2014. The Institute for Economics and Peace. Retrieved from http://econom-icsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2014-Global-Peace-Index-REPORT_0-1.pdf.
- Global Peace Index 2013. The Institute for Economics and Peace. Retrieved from http://econom-icsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2013-GPI-Report.pdf.
- Global Peace Index 2012. The Institute for Economics and Peace. Retrieved from http://econom-icsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2012-Global-Peace-Index-Report.pdf
- Global Peace Index 2011. The Institute for Economics and Peace. Retrieved from http://econom-icsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2011-GPI-Results-Report.pdf.
- The Fragile States Index Data. The Fund for Peace. Retrieved from http://fsi.fundforpeace.org/data.
- Basel AML Index. BaselInstitute on Governance. Retrieved from https://index.baselgovernance.org/ranking.
- Yuliya Tymoshenko: Ukrayina na tretiomu mistsi v sviti po vidmyvannyu hroshey cherez ofshory. Fact Check [Ukraine takes the third place in the world by money laundering through offshore. Fact Check]. Reitrieved from https://www.factcheck.com.ua/ua/yuliya-timoshenko-ukraina-na-tretem-meste-v-mire-po-otmyvaniyu-deneg-cherez-offshory/.
- World Rankings International Property Rights Index countries ranking (2015, 2012-2008). Reitrieved from https://knoema.com/atlas/topics/World-Rankings/World-Rankings/International-Property-Rights-Index.
- International Property Rights Index, 2014 (2014-2012). Reitrieved from https://knoema.com/IPRI2014Dec/in-ternational-property-rights-index-2014?action=download#
- The Global Competitiveness Index historical dataset. World Economic Forum. Retrieved from www3.wefrum.org/docs/GCR2014-15/GCI_Dataset_2006-07-2014-15.xlsx.
- Doing Business. World Bank. Retrieved from http://russian.doingbusiness.org/Custom-Query.
- Index of Economic Freedom. The Heritage Foundation. Retrieved from http://www.heritage.org/index/ex-plore?view=by-region-country-year.
- Human Development Index. United Nations Development Programme. Retrieved from http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/human-development-index-hdi.
- Global Terrorism Index 2016. The Institute for Economics and Peace. Retrieved from http://econom-icsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Global-Terrorism-Index-2016.2.pdf.
- Global Terrorism Index 2015. The Institute for Economics and Peace. Retrieved from http://econom-icsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Global-Terrorism-Index-2015.pdf.
- Global Terrorism Index 2014. The Institute for Economics and Peace. Retrieved from http://econom-icsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Global-Terrorism-Index-Report-2014.pdf.
- Global Terrorism Index 2012. The Institute for Economics and Peace. Retrieved from http://re-liefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/2012-Global-Terrorism-Index-Report.pdf.
- Corruption Perception Index. Transparency International. Retrieved from http://www.transpar-ency.org/cpi2015#downloads.
- Corruption Perception Index 2015. Transparency International. Retrieved from http://www.transparency.org/cpi2015.
- Corruption as a threat to stability and peace. Transperency International. 2014. Retrieved from http://tide-fence.org/publications/corruption-as-a-threat-to-stability-and-peace/.