Badri G. Narayanan, PhD, Economist, School of Environment and Forestry Sciences, University of Washington Seattle, USA
Isha Jaswal, PhD, Associate Professor of Economics, School of Law, Delhi Metropolitan Education, India
Lipika Sharma, PhD, Associate Professor of Law, School of Law, Galgotia University, India
While there have been a lot of analysis currently being conducted to analyze the recent trends across the world towards a new era of protectionism, many of them are either in the realm of law or econom-ics; there is a dearth of studies analyzing them from a combined legal and economic perspective. Our paper is a unique attempt in this regard. We show from both legal and economic perspectives, that the new regionalist policy initiatives in UK and USA potentially have more negative effects than positive effects for the entire world in the future.
Keywords: international trade, law and economics, new regionalism.
JEL Classification: F14, F53, K22, L50.
Cite as: Narayanan, B. G., Jaswal, I., Sharma, L. (2017). Recent Regionalism in UK and USA: A Legal and Economic Analysis. SocioEconomic Challenges, 1(4), 23-34. DOI: 10.21272sec.1(4).23-34.2017
- Aguiar, Angel, Badri Narayanan, & Robert McDougall (2016). An Overview of the GTAP 9 Data Base. Journal of Global Economic Analysis, 1(1), 181-208.
- Anderson, K., Ingco, E., & Ingco, M. (1999). Integrating agriculture into the WTO: the next phase. Trade and Development Centre.
- Brexit, Trump and the TPP mean Australia should pursue more bilateral trade agreements (January 17, 2017). The Conversation.. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/brexit-trump-and-the-tpp-mean-australia-should-pursue-more-bilateral-trade-agreements-71330.
- Chang, H. C. (2001). A New Look at the Impact of Migration on the Wage Differential. Research Paper-University of Melbourne Department of Economics.
- Craig, R. (2016, May 3). The potential impact of Brexit on UK competition law. Taylor Wessing. Retrieved from https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=4d43fc9c-39f0-43e2-832f-2aa410e40bed.
- Das, G. G. (2009). A hybrid production structure in trade: theory and implications. International Review of Economics, 56(4), 359.
- Dennison, J. and Carl, N. (2016, July 18). The ultimate cause of Brexit: history, culture, and geography. Retrieved from: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/explaining-brexit/.
- Dixon, P. B. (2008). Trade policy in Australia and the development of computable general equilibrium modeling. Journal of Economic Integration, 605-630.
- Dodd-Frank Act. Retrieved from http://searchfinancialsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/Dodd-Frank-Act.
- Elbehri, A., Ingco, M., Hertel, T., & Pearson, K. (2000). Agriculture and WTO 2000: quantitative assessment of multilateral liberalization of agricultural policies. In Conference on Agriculture and the New Trade Agenda in the WTO, pp. 1-2.
- Francois, J. (2000). The ghost of Rounds past: the Uruguay Round and the Shape of the next multilateral trade round. In Conference on Agriculture and the New Trade Agenda in the WTO, pp. 1-2.
- Gopalakrishnan, B. N., & Walmsley, T. L. (2008). Global trade, assistance, and production: The GTAP 7 data base. Global Trade Analysis Center, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hertel, T. W. (ed. 1997). Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and Applications, Cambridge University Press. Available at https://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/products/gtap_book.asp.
- Hertel, T. W., Anderson, K., Francois, J. F., & Martin, W. J. (2000). Agriculture and non-agricultural liberalization in the millennium round.
- Hertel, T., & Martin, W. (1999). Would developing countries gain from inclusion of manufactures in the WTO negotiations?
- International Monetary Fund (March 2017). Cluster Report – Trade Integration in Latin America and the Caribbean. Retrieved from https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/CR/Issues/2017/03/10/Cluster-Report-Trade-Integration-in-Latin-America-and-the-Caribbean-44735.
- Kaletsky, A. (2016, November 28). 10 economic consequences of Donald Trump’s election win. the guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/28/donald-trump-economic-consequences-us-election-growth.
- Kaletsky, A. (November, 2016). Ten Consequences of Trump. Conjuntura Global, REUNIÃO DE CONJUNTURA. Retrieved from https://www.pragmapatrimonio.com.br:3035/Interno/Arquivos/MidiaExterno/11884_Original.pdf.
- Lang, E., Hunter, I. and Froud, J. (2017, March 31). Brexit: Employment and Immigration Law Implications − The Latest Position. Bird & Bird. Retrieved from https://www.twobirds.com/en/news/articles/2016/uk/brexit-employment-and-immigration-law-implications.
- Ludena, C. E. (2010). Agricultural productivity growth, efficiency change and technical progress in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Mano, R. (2017, May 12). Brazil, Mexico look to strengthen trade ties as NAFTA talks loom. REUTERS. Retrieved from http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-mexico-grains/brazil-mexico-look-to-strengthen-trade-ties-as-nafta-talks-loom-idUSKBN18804F.
- Martin, W., & Winters, L. A. (1995). The Uruguay Round: Widening and Deepening the World Trading System. World Bank Publications.
- Narayanan, G., Badri, Angel Aguiar and Robert McDougall, Eds. (2015). Global Trade, Assistance, and Production: The GTAP 9 Data Base, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Purdue University.
- Riley, A. (2016). Brexit: Causes and Consequences. Barcelona Centre for International Affairs (CIDOB). E-ISSN: 2013-4428. Retrieved from: https://www.cidob.org/publicaciones/serie_de_publicacion/notes_internacionals/n1_159/brexit_causes_and_consequences.
- Taheripour, F., Hertel, T. W., Gopalakrishnan, B. N., Sahin, S., & Escurra, J. J. (2015, July). Agricultural production, irrigation, climate change, and water scarcity in India. In 2015 AAEA & WAEA joint annual meeting, pp. 26-28.
- Taylor Wessing (2016). The potential impact of Brexit on UK competition law. Retrieved from https://www.taylorwessing.com/download/article-brexit-competition-law.html.
- The case for importing skilled foreign workers: Trump’s Kenosha doctrine is good for America. Editorial Board, Chicago Tribune. 2017, April 20. Retrieved from http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-visa-worker-program-trump-edit-0421-md-20170420-story.html.
- The Economy Dominated by Elections. MANA. (2017). Retrieved from: http://www.mana.ir/5177/index.aspx?nid=72350&mId=13718.
- The fallout from Trump’s new trade policy (2017, April 11), The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved from: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/the-fallout-from-trumps-new-trade-policy/article9631174.ece?homepage=true.
- Transfer of Undertakings (TUPE). Retrieved from http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1655
- Verburg, P. H., Eickhout, B., & van Meijl, H. (2008). A multi-scale, multi-model approach for analyzing the future dynamics of European land use. The annals of regional science, 42(1), 57-77.
- Where would Apple, IBM be if not for talent from across globe: Urjit Patel (2017, April 25), The Economic Times. Retrieved from http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/where-would-apple-ibm-be-if-not-for-talent-from-across-globe-urjit-patel/articleshow/58355329.cms?utm_source=ETnotifications&utm_medium=editpush&utm_campaign=Policy.
- Willsher, K. (2015, March 22). Abandoned French working class ready to punish Left’s neglect by voting for far right. The Guardian. Retrieved from: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/22/alienated-french-working-class-vote-far-right-claims-analyst.
- Zalan, E. (2016, January 13). Divided EU debates China market economy status. euobserver. Retrieved from: https://euobserver.com/eu-china/131801.