, PhD, Dean of Higher vocation education in Biotechnical center Naklo, Slovenia
This paper summarizes the arguments and counterarguments within the scientific discussion on the issue of entrepreneurship and importance of knowledge. Systematization literary sources and approaches show knowledge has to become the key economic resource. Concept is based on “knowledge-based theory, which considers knowledge as the most strategically significant resource of a firm. Learning and creating knowledge can improve innovation, process effectiveness and competitive advantage. Systematization literary sources and approaches for improving firm performance indicates dependence from different factors. Better understanding of the interaction between entrepreneurial orientation and knowledge creation processes are important. Entrepreneurial orientation refers to the strategy making processes that provide organizations with a basis for entrepreneurial decisions and actions. It is a combination of five dimensions: innovation, risk taking, proactiveness, competitive aggressiveness and autonomy (Lumpkin, Dess, 1996). Knowledge creation is conceptualized as a dialectical process, in which various contradictions are synthesized through dynamic interactions between explicit and tacit knowledge in individual human minds and among individuals, the organization, and the environment.
The paper is carried out in the following logical sequences: first chapter is Introduction with basic paper information. Next chapter is Research background and hypothesis. This is theoretical background and discussion about entrepreneurial orientation, knowledge creation and firm performance. We develop three hypotheses: H1: A firm’s entrepreneurial orientation is positively associated with its knowledge creation process; H2: A firm’s entrepreneurial orientation is positively associated with its performance; H3: A firm’s knowledge creation process is positively associated with its performance. In next chapter Research methods, we explain empirical research data, methods. This chapter follow the Analysis and results and next Discussion and conclusion. At the ends is the list of references.
Methodological tools of the research methods were SPSS 18 and EQS 6.1 software. Year of research was 1915. The object of research is the chosen SME companies (Slovenia). The paper presents the results of an empirical analysis of 195 Slovenian small and medium-sized enterprises. The research empirically confirms and supported hypotheses H1 and H3.
The results of the research can be useful to improve the knowledge and the research gap, support of the resource-advantage theory and add piece of knowledge to a mosaic of research in different countries.
Keywords: economic education, economics, education, pedagogical, pedagogy, teaching, teaching of economics.
JEL Classification: I2.
Cite as: Vidic, F. (2018). Entrepreneurial Orientation and Knowledge Creation and Their Impact on Company Performance. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(2), 37-48. DOI: 10.21272/sec.3(2).37-48.2018
- Atuahene-Gima, K., & Ko, A. (2001).An Empirical Investigation of the Effect of Market Orientation and Entrepreneurship Orientation Alignment on Product Innovation. Organization Science, 12 (1), 54–74.
- Atuahene-Gima, K., Slater, S.F., & Olson, E.M. (2005).The Contingent Value of Responsive and Proactive Market Orientations for New Product Program Performance. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 22 (6), 464-482.
- Audretsch, D.B. (2010). The Entrepreneurial Society. In D.B., Audretsch, G., Battista Dagnino, R. Faraci, & R.E, Hoskisson (ur.), New Frontiers in Entrepreneurship, International Studies in Entrepreneurship. New York: Springer.
- Barsh, J. (2007). Innovation Management: A Conversation with Gary Hamel and Lowell Bryan. The McKinsey Quarterly, 3, 1–10.
- Bereiter, C. (2002). Education and Mind in the Knowledge Age. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NY.
- Bolton, D. L., & Lane, M.D. (2012). Individual Entrepreneurial Orientation: Development of a Measurement Instrument. Education and Training, 54 (2), 219-233.
- Burgelman, R.A. (1983). Designs for Corporate Entrepreneurship in Established Firms. California Management Review, 26 (3), 154-166.
- Capedaa, G., & Vera, D. (2007). Dynamic Capabilities and Dynamic Capabilities: A Knowledge Next Term Management Perspective. Journal of Business Research, 60, 426-437.
- Covin, J.G., & Slevin, D.P. (1989). Strategic Management of Small Firms in Hostile and Benign Environments. Strategic Management Journal, 10, 75–87.
- Cui, Yi, & Zheng, X. (2007). An Integration and Empirical Examination of Entrepreneurial Orientation, Marketing Orientation and Firm Performance. Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing. WiCom.
- Davenport, T., & Prusak, L. (2000). Working Knowledge: How Organizations Manage, What they Know. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Day, G.S. (1994). The Capabilities of Market Driven Organization. Journal of Marketing, 58, 37-52.
- De Clercq, D., Dimov, D., & Thongpapanl, N. (2009). The Moderating Impact of Internal Social Exchange Processes on the Entrepreneurial Orientation ‒ Performance Relationship. Journal of Business Venturing, 17.
- De Luca, L.M., & Atuahene-Gima, K. (2007). Market Knowledge Dimensions and Cross-Functional Collaboration: Examining the Different Routes to Product Innovation Performance. Journal of Marketing, 71, 95-112.
- Drucker, P.F. (2009). A Century of Social Transformation: Emergence of Knowledge Society. In Managing in a Time of Great Change. Boston: Harvard Business Press, 177-230.
- Essmann, H.E. (2009). Toward Innovation Capatibility Maturity. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Stelenbosch.
- Esterhuizen, D., Schutte, C.S.L., & du Toit, A.S.A. (2011). Knowledge Creation Process as Critical Enablers for Innovation. International Journal of Information Management.
- Fillis, I. (2010). The Role of Creativity in Entrepreneurship. Journal of Enterprising Culture, 18(1), 49-81.
- Fischer, M.M., & Fröhlich, J. (2001). Knowledge Complexity and Innovation System. Springer.
- Gomezelj Omerzel, D., Antoncic, B. (2008). Critical Entrepreneur Knowledge Dimensions for the SME Performance. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 108(9), 1182-1199.
- Gomezelj Omerzel, D., Antoncic, B., & Ruzzier, M. (2011). Developing and Testing a Multi-Dimensional Knowledge Management Model on Slovenian SMEs. Baltic Journal of Management, 6(2), 179-204
- Gray, B. (2000). Knowledge Management Overview. Irwine, CA: University of California.
- Grant, R.M. (1996). Toward a Knowledge-Based Theory of the Firm. Strategic Management Journal, 17, 93-107.
- Griffith, D.A., Noble, S.M., & Chen, Q. (2006). The Performance Implications of Entrepreneurial Proactivity: A Dynamic Capabilities Approach. Journal of Retailing, 82(1), 51-62.
- Hair, J.F., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J., & Anderson, R.E. (2010). Multivariate Data Analysis (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NY: Pearson-Prentice Hall Publisher.
- Hamel, G., & Prahalad, C.K. (1994). Competing for the Future. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Hart, S.L. (1992). An Integrative Framework for Strategy-Making Processes. Academy of Management Review, 17(2), 327-351.
- Hoegl, M., & Shulze, A. (2005). How to Support Knowledge Creation in New Product Development: An Investigation Methods. European Management Journals, 23 (3), 263-273.
- Huang, S.K., & Wang, Y.L. (2011): Entrepreneurial Orientation, Learning Orientation and Innovation in Small and Medium Enterprises. Procedia Social and Behavioural Sciences, 24, 463-570.
- Hunt, D.S., & Morgan, R.M. (1995). The Comparative Advantage of Competition. Journal of Marketing, 59, 1-15.
- Jun, Z., & Deschoolmeester, D. (2006). Exploring Entrepreneurial Orientation (EO) in 3 Dimensions: A New Prospective for Analyzing the Value of a Company. Available at: http://www.kmu.unisg.ch/rencontres/RENC2004/Topics/Deschoolmester_Renc_04_Topic_D.pdf (Accessed 15.12.2008).
- Katz, B. (2007). Integration of Project Management Processes with Methology to Manage Radical Innovation Project. M. Sc. Disertation University of Stelenbosch.
- Khandwalla, P.N. (1997). The Design of Organizations. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc.: New York.
- Kleinsmann, M., Buijs, J., & Valkenburg, R. (2010). Understanding the Complexity of Knowlege Integration in Collaborative New Product Development Teams: ACase Study. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 27(1-2), 20-32.
- Korposch, D., Lee, Y.C, Wei, C.C., & Wei, C.S. (2011). Modelling the Effects of Existing Knowledge on cCreation of New Knowledge. Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications, 19(3), 225-233.
- Kreiser, P., Marino, L., & Weaver, M.K. (2002). Assessing the Relationship Between Entrepreneurial Orientation, the External Environment, and Firm Performance. Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research. Babson. Available at: http://www.babson.edu/entrep/fer/BABSON2002/X/X_P3/P3/html/x-p3.htm (Accessed 4.2.2009).
- Lamadrid, R., Heene, A., & Gellynck, X. (2008). Rewiring Business Firms Through an Entrepreneurial – Oriented Strategy. Working Paper. Faculteit Economie en Edrijfskunde.
- Li, Y.H., Huang, J.W., & Tsai, M.T. (2009). Entrepreneurial Orientation and Firm Performance: the Role of KnowledgeCreation Process. Industrial Marketing Management, 38, 440-449.
- Li, Y, Liu, X., Wang, L., Li, M., & Guo, H. (2009). How Entrepreneurial Effect on Knowledge Management on Innovation. System Research and Behavioural Science, 26, 645-660.
- Lin, F., Lin, S. & Huang, T. (2008). Knowledge Sharing and Creation in Teachers Professional Virtual Community. Computers and Education, 50, 742-765.
- Lumpkin, G. T., Cogliser, C. C., & Schneider, D. R. (2009). Understanding and Measuring Autonomy: An Entrepreneurial Orientation Perspective. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33(1), 47-69.
- Lumpkin, G.T., & Dess G.G. (2001). Linking Two Dimensions of Entrepreneurial Orientation to firm Performance: The Moderating Role of Environment and Industry Life Cycle. Journal of Business Venturing, 16(5), 429-451.
- Lumpkin, G.T., & Dess, G.G. (1996). Clarifying the Entrepreneurial Orientation Construct and Linking it to Performance. Academy of Management Review, 21 (1), 135-172.
- Lyon, W.D., Lumpkin, G.T., & Dess G.G. (2000). Enhancing Entrepreneurial Orientation Research: Operationalizing and Measuring a Key Strategic Decision Making Process. Journal of Management, 26(5), 1055-1085.
- Malone, D. (2002). Knowledge Management: A Model for Organizational Learning. International Journal of Accounting Informational Systems, 3(2), 111-123.
- McAdam, R. (2004). Knowledge Creation and Idea Generation: A Critical Quality Perspective. Technovation, 24, 697-705.
- Miller, D. (1983). The Correlates of Entrepreneurship in Three Types of Firms. Management Science, 29 (7), 770-791.
- Miller D.J., Fern, M.J., & Cardinal, L.B. (2007). The Use of Knowledge for Technological Innovation Within Diversified Firms. Academy of Management Journal, 50, 308–326.
- Moller C. (2007). Process Innovation Laboratory: A New Approach to Business Process Innovation Based on Enterprise Information Systems. Enterprise Information Systems, 1(1), 113–128.
- Morgan, N.A., Vorhies, D.W., & Mason, C.H. (2009). Market Orientation, Marketing Capabilities and Firm Performance. Strategic Marketing Journal, 30, 909-920.
- Murphy, G. B., Trailer, J. W., & Hill, R. C. (1996). Measuring Performance in Entrepreneurship Research. Journal of Business Research, 36(1), 15−23.
- Nonaka, I., & Toyama, R. (2005). The Theory of the Knowledge Creation Firm: Subjectivity, Objectivity, and Synthesis. Industrial and Corporate Change, 14(3), 419−436.
- Nonaka, I., von Krogh, G. & Voepel, S. (2006). Organizational Knowledge Creation: Evolutionary Paths and Future Advances. Organization Studies, 27 (8), 1179-1208.
- Paavola, S., & Hkkarainen, K. (2005). The Knowledge Creation Metaphor: An Emergent Metaphor Epistemological Approach to Learning. Science &Education, 14, 535-557.
- Prajogo, D.I., & Ahmed P.K. (2006). Relationships Between Innovation Stimulus, Innovation Capacity, and Innovation Performance. R & D Management, 36 (5), 499–515.
- Quinn, J. B. (1992). Intelligent Enterprise: A Knowledge and Service ‒ Based Paradigm or Industry? New York, NY: The Free Press.
- Rauch, A., Wiklund, J., Frese, M., & Lumpkin, G.T. (2009).Entrepreneurial Orientation and Business Performance: An Assessment of Past Research and Suggestions for the future. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33 (3), 761-787.
- Sabherwal, R., & Becerra-Fernandez, I. (2003). An Empirical Study of the Effect of KnowledgeManagement Processes at Individual, Group, and Organizational Levels.Decision Sciences, 34 ( 2), 225-260.
- Samaddar, S., & Kadiyala, S.S. (2006).An Analysis of Interorganizational Resource Sharing Discusion in Collaborative Knowledge Creation. European Journal of Operational Research, 170, 192-210.
- Slater, S.F., &Narver, J.C. (1995). Market Orientation and the Learning Organization. Journal of Marketing, 59(3), 28-38.
- Spender, J.C. (1996). Making Knowledge: The Basis of Dynamic Theory of a Firm. Strategic Management Journal, 17, 45-62.
- Teece, D.F. (2000). Strategies for Managing KnowledgeAssets: The Role of Firm Structure and Industrial Context. Long Range Planning, 33, 35-54.
- Teece, D.J., Pisano, G., & Shuen, A. (1997). Dynamic Capabilities and Strategic Management. Strategic Management Journal, 18 (7), 509-535.
- Tsai, M.T. & Li, Y.H. (2007). Knowledge Creation in New Venture Strategy and Performance.Journal of Business Research, 60, 371-381.
- Von Krogh, G., Ichijo, K., & Nonaka I. (2000). Enabling KnowledgeCreation: How to Unlock the Mystery of Tacit. Oxford University Press, 292.
- Williams, C., Lee, S.H. (2009). Resource Allocations, KnowledgeNetwork Characteristics and Entrepreneurial Orientation of Multinational Corporations. ResearchPolicy, 30, 1376-1387.
- Wiklund, J. (1999). The sustainability of the entrepreneurial orientation-performance relationship. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 37-48.
- Wiklund, J., & Shepherd, D. (2003). Knowledge-based Resources, Entrepreneurial Orientation, and the Performance of Small and Medium-sized Businesses. Strategic Management Journal, 7 (24), 1307-1314.
- Zahra, S. A., & Covin, J. G. (1995). Contextual Influences on the Corporate Entrepreneurship Performance Relationship: A Longitudinal Analysis. Journal of Business Venturing, 10 (3), 43-58.
- Zhang, Q., Lim, J., & Cao, M. (2004). Innovation- Driven Learning in New Product Development: A Conceptual Model. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 104(3), 252−261.