, PhD Candidate, Department of Business Strategy and Policy, Faculty of Business and Accountancy, University of Malaya, Malaysia
, PhD, Lecturer, Sunway University Business School, Sunway University, Malaysia
This paper summarizes the arguments and counterarguments within the scientific discussion on the issue of Electronic Word-of-Mouth (eWOM) on brand image and purchase intention. The main purpose of the research is to investigate the effect of Electronic Word-of-Mouth (eWOM) on brand image and purchase intention, a study on Malaysia’s automobile industry focusing on Malaysian branded cars. Systematization literary sources and approaches for solving the problem, before we embark to the details of this research, the paper will give a synopsis of the study indicates that purchase intention. The relevance of the decision of this scientific problem is that many studies need an Investigation of the topic of Electronic Word-of-Mouth (eWOM) on brand image and purchase intention. In the paper is carried out in the following logical sequence Methodological tools of the research methods were done huge reviews of the pervious researches. The object of research is the chosen Malaysia’s automobile industry focusing on Malaysian branded cars, because namely they have an intention of the customers. The paper presents the results of past studies and showed that the new proposed framework. The research proposed future direction and potential solution of the issues. Initially this will highlight commence with a research background followed by a problem statement then significance of the study which will eventually be trailed with the research questions, research objectives and lastly, limitations will be elucidated.
Keywords: electronic word, Electronic Word-of-Mouth (EWOM), brand image, brands, purchase intention, buy intention.
JEL Classification: M.
Cite as: Al Halbusi, H., Tehseen, S. (2018). The Effect of Electronic Word-Of-Mouth (EWOM) On Brand Image and Purchase Intention: A Conceptual Paper. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(2), 83-94. DOI: 10.21272/sec.3(2).83-94.2018
- Aaker, D. (1991). Managing Brand Equity: Capitalizing on the Value of a Brand Name. New York: The Free Press.
- Andrew, K. & Cheema, A. (2010). The Effect of Need for Uniqueness on Word-of-mouth. Journal of Marketing Research, 4(7), 553-563.
- Arndt (1967). Role of product-related conversations in the diffusion of a new product. Journal of Marketing, 291-295.
- Automotive Institute of Malaysia (2009). The Malaysian Automotive Industry. Putra Jaya: Ministry of International Trade and Industry.
- Baek, H., Ahn, J. & Choi, Y. (2013). Helpfulness of online consumer reviews: readers’ objectives a d review cues. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 17(2), 99-126.
- Bambauer-Sachse, S. & Mangold, S. (2011). Brand equity dilution through negative online word-of-mouth communication. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 18, 38-45.
- Bian, X. & Moutinho, L. (2011). The role of brand image, product involvement, and knowledge in explaining consumer purchase behaviour of counterfeits: direct and indirect effects. European Journal of Marketing, 45(1/2), 191.
- Biel, A. (1992). How brand image drives brand equity. Journal of Advertising Research, 32(6), 6-12.
- Bronner, F. & Hoog, R. (2011). Vacationers and eWOM: Who Posts, and Why, Where, and What? Journal of Travel Research, 50(1), 15-26.
- Browning, V. & Sparksa, B. (2011). The impact of online reviews on hotel booking intentions and perception of trust. Tourism Management, 32(6), 1310-1323.
- Ceema, A. & Kaikati, A. (2010). The effect of need for uniqueness on word of mouth. Journal of Marketing Research, 47(3), 553-563.
- Chang, H. & Liu, Y. (2009). The impact of brand equity on brand preference and purchase intentions in the service industries. The Service Industries Journal, 29(12), 1687.
- Chatterjee, P. (2001). Online reviews:do consumers use them? Advances in Consumer Research, 28(1), 129-133.
- Chen, Y., Wang, Q. & Xie, J. (2011). Online social interactions: A natural experiment on word of mouth versus observational learning. Journal of Marketing Research, 48(2), 238-254.
- Chen, Y. & Xie, J. (2008). Online consumer review: word-of-mouth as a new element of marketing communication mix. Management Science, 54(3), 477-491.
- Chevalier, J. & Mayzlin, D. (2006). The effect of word of mouth on sales: online book reviews. Journal of Marketing Research, 79(9), 345-354.
- Chiou, J. & Cheng, C. (2003). Should a company have message boards on its websites? Journal of Interactive Marketing, 17(3), 50-61.
- Clemons, E., Gao, G. & Hitt, L. (2006). When online reviews meet hyper differentiation: a study of the craft beer industry. Journal of Management Information, 23(2), 149-171.
- Cousins, P. & Menguc, B. (2006). The implications of socialization and integration in supply chain management. Journal of Operations Management, 24(5), 604-620.
- Cui, G., Lui, H. & Guo, X. (2012). The effect of online consumer reviews on new product sales. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 17(1), 39-58.
- Davis, D., Golicic, S., & Marquardt, A. (2009). Measuring brand equity for logistics services. The International Journal of Logistics Management, 20(2), 201-212.
- Dellarocas, C. (2003). The digitization of word of mouth: promise and challenges of online feedback mechanisms. Management Science, 49(10), 1407-1424.
- Dellarocas, C., Zhang, X. & Awad, N. (2007). Exploring the value of online product reviews in forecasting sales: The case of motion pictures. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 21(4), 23-45.
- Drebee, H., Razak, N. & Karim, M. (2014). Is There an Overlapping Market between National Car Producers in Malaysia?. Jurnal Ekonomi Malaysia, 48(1), 75-85.
- Duan, W., Gu, B. & Whinston, A. (2008). The dynamics of online word-of-mouth and product salesdan empirical investigation of the movie industry. Journal of Retailing, 84(2), 233-242.
- East, R., Hammond, K. & Lomax, W. (2008). Measuring the impact of positive and negative word of mouth on brand purchase probability. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 27, 215-224.
- East, R., Hammond, K. & Wright, M. (2007). The relative incidence of positive and negative word of mouth: A multi category study. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 24, 175-184.
- Fang, Y. (2014). Beyond the credibility of electronic word of mouth: Exploring eWOM adoption on social networking sites from affective and curiosity perspective. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 18(3), 67-102.
- Filieri, R. & McLeay, F. (2014). E-WOM and Accommodation: An Analysis of the Factors That Influence Travelers’ Adoption of Information from Online Reviews. Journal of Travel Research, 53(1), 44-57.
- Forman, C., Ghose, A. & Wiesenfeld, B. (2008). Examining the relationship between reviews and sales: the role of reviewer identity disclosure in electronic markets. Information Systems Research, 19(3), 291-313.
- Fornell, C. & Larker, D. (1981). Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50.
- Gardner, B. & Levy, S. (1995). The Product and the Brand. Harvard Business Review, 33, 33-39.
- Godes, D. & Mayzlin, D. (2004). Using online conversations to studyword of mouth communication. Marketing Science, 23(4), 545-560.
- Godes, D. & Mayzlin, D. (2009). Firm-created word-of-mouth communication: evidence from a field test. Marketing Science, 28(4), 721-739.
- Harun, A. et al. (2007). The effect of brand image on overall satisfaction and loyalty intention in the context of color cosmetic. Asian Academy of Management Journal, 12(1), 83-107.
- Hennig-Thurau, T., Gwinner, K., Walsh, G. & Gremler, D. (2004). Electronic word-of-mouth via consumer-opinion platforms: what motivates consumers toarticulate themselves on the Internet? Journal of Interactive Marketing, 18(1), 38-52.
- Hennig-Thurau, T. & Walsh, G. (2003). Electronic word-of-mouth: motives for and consequences of reading customer articulations on the internet. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 8(2), 51-74.
- Hu, N., Liu, L. & Zhang, J. (2008). Do online reviews affect product sales? The role of reviewer characteristics and temporal effects. Information Technology and Mangement, 9(3), 201-214.
- Jaafar, S., Lalp, P. & Naba, M. (2013). Consumers’ Perceptions, Attitudes and Purchase Intention towards Private label Food Products in Malaysia. Asian Journal of Business and Management Sciences, 2(8), 73-90.
- Jalilvand, M. & Samiei, N. (2012). The impact of electronic word of mouth on a tourism destination choice. Internet Research, 22(5), 591-612.
- Jeong, E. & Jang, S. (2011). Restaurant experiences triggering positive electronic word-of-mouth (eWOM) motivations. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 30(2), 356–366.
- Keller, E. (2007). Unleashing the power of word of mouth: Creating brand advocacy to drive growth. Journal of Advertising Research, 47(4), 448-452.
- Keller, K., 1993. Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity. Journal of Marketing, 57(1), 1-22.
- Lee, C. & Cranage, D. (2014). Toward Understanding Consumer Processing of Negative Online Word-of-Mouth Communication: The Roles of Opinion Consensus and Organizational Response Strategies. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 38(3), 330-360.
- Libai, B., Muller, E. & Peres, R. (2013). Decomposing the value of word-of-mouth seeding programs: Acceleration versus expansion. Journal of Marketing Research, 50(2), 161-176.
- Litvin, S., Goldsmith, R. & Pan, B. (2008). Electronic word-of-mouth in hospitality and tourism management. Tourism Management, 29, 458-468.
- Liu, Y. (2006). Word of mouth formovies: Its dynamics and impact on box office revenue. Journal of Marketing, 70(3), 74-89.
- Liu, Z. & Park, S. (2015). What makes a useful online review? Implication for travelproduct websites. Tourism Management, 47, 140-151.
- Lovett, L., Peres, R. & Shachar, R. (2013). On brands and word-of mouth. Journal of Marketing, 50(4), 427-444.
- Luo, Q. & Zhong, D. (2015). Using social network analysis to explain communicationcharacteristics of travel-related electronic word-of-mouth on social networking sites. Tourism Management, 46, 274-282.
- Maio, G. & Haddock, G. (2007). Social Psychology: A Handbook of Basic Principles. New York: Guilford.
- Martin, C. & Leug, E. (2011). Modeling word-of-mouth usage. Journal of Business Research, 1-8.
- Mauri, A. & Minazzi, R. (2013). Web reviews influence on expectations and purchasing intentions of hotel potential customers. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 34, 99-107.
- Meiners, N., Schwarting, U. & Seeberger, B. (2010). The Renaissance of Word-of-Mouth Marketing: A ‘New’ Standard in Twenty-First Century Marketing Management? International Journal of Economic Science Research, 3(2), 79-97.
- Mizerski, R. (1982). An attribution explanation of the disproportionate influence of favorable and unfavorable information. Journal of Consumer Research, 9(3), 301-310.
- Munar, A. & Jacobsen, J. (2014). Motivations for sharing tourism experiences through social media. Tourism Management, 43, 46-54.
- Nakhaee, A. & Kheiri, B. (2012). The effect of selected factors on purchase intention for buying green products. Journal of Marketing Management, 15, 105-130.
- Padgett, D. & Allen, D. (1997). Communicating experiences: A narrative approach to creating service brand image. Journal of Advertising, 26(4), 49-62.
- Park, C., Jaworski, B. & Maclnnis, D. (1986). Strategic brand concept-image management. Journal of Marketing, 50(4), 135-145.
- Park, D., Lee, J. & Han, I. (2007). The effect of on-line consumer reviews on con-sumer purchasing intention: the moderating role of involvement. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 11(4), 125-148.
- Park, S. & Nicolau, J. (2015). Asymmetric effects of online consumer reviews. Annals of Tourism Research, 50, 67-83.
- Poston, R. & Speier, C. (2005). Effective use of knowledge management systems: a process model of content ratings and credibility indicators. MIS Quarterly, 29(2), 221-244.
- Punj, G. (2013). Do consumers who conduct online research also post online reviews?: A model of the relationship between online research and review posting behaviour. Marketing Letters, 4(1), 1-17.
- Riegner, C. (2007). Word of Mouth on the Web: The Impact of Web 2.0 on Consumer Purchase Decisions. Journal of Advertising Research, 47(4), 436-447.
- Sandes, F. & Urdan, A. (2013). Electronic Word-of-Mouth Impacts on Consumer Behavior: Exploratory and Experimental Studies. Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 25(3), 181-197.
- Schau, H. & Gilly, M. (2003). We are what we post? Self-presentation in personal web space. Journal of Consumer Research, 30(3), 385-404.
- Senecal, S. & Nantel, J. (2004). The influence of online product recommendations on consumer’s online choices. Journal of Retailing, 80(2), 159-169.
- Sen, S. & Lerman, D. (2007). Whyareyoutellingmethis? An examination into negative consumer reviews on the web 21. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 21(4), 76-94.
- Serkan, A. & Gokhan, O. (2005). National customer satisfaction indices: an implementation in the Turkish mobile telephone market. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 23(5), 486-504.
- Serra Cantallops, A. & Salvi, F. (2014). New consumer behavior: a review of research oneWOM and hotels. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 36, 41-51.
- Shukla, P. (2010). Impact of interpersonal influences, brand origin and brand image on luxury purchase intentions: measuring interfunctional interactions and a cross-national comparison. Journal of World Business, 46(2), 242-252.
- Skowronski, J. & Carlston, D., (1989). Negativity and extremity biases in impression formation: a review of explanations. Psychological Bulletin, 105(1), 131-142.
- Smith, D., Menon, S. & Sivakumar, K. (2005). Online peer and editorial recommendations, trust and choice in virtual markets. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 19(3), 15-37.
- Sweeney, J., Soutar, G. & Mazzarol, T. (2012). Word of mouth: measuring the power of individual messages. European Journal of Marketing, 46(1), 237-257.
- Tavakol, M. & Dennick, R. (2011). Making sense of Cronbach’s alpha. International Journal of Medical Education, 2, 53-55.
- Todd, P. & Benbasat, I. (1992). The use of information in decision making: an experimental investigation of the impact of computer-based decision aids. MIS Quarterly, 16(3), 373-393.
- Tsai, S. (2011). Strategic relationship management and service brand marketing. European Journal of Marketing, 45(7), 1194-1213.
- Van der Heijden, H. (2003). Factors influencing the usage of websites: the case of a. Information & Management, 40(6), 541-549.
- Wang, X. & Yang, Z. (2010). The effect of brand credibility on consumers’ brand purchase intention in emerging economies: the moderating role of brand awareness and brand image. Journal of Global Marketing, 23(3), 177.
- Webster, F. & Keller, K. (2004). A roadmap for branding in industrial markets. Brand Management, 11(5), 388-402.
- Wu, P., Yeh, G. & Hsiao, C. (2011). “The effect of store image and service quality on brand image and purchase intention for private label brands. Australasian Marketing Journal, 19, 30-39.
- Xia, L. & Bechwati, N. (2008). Word of mouse: The role of cognitive personalization in online consumer reviews. Journal of Interactive Advertising, 9(1), 3-13.
- Xie, H., Miao, L., Kuo, P. & Lee, B. (2011). Consumers’ responses to ambivalent onlinehotel reviews: the role of perceived source credibility and pre-decisional dispo-sition.. International Journal of Hospitality, 30, 178-183.
- Yao, Y., Dresner, M. & Palmer, J. (2009). Private network EDI vs. Internet electronic markets: a direct comparison of fulfillment performance. Management Science, 55(5), 843-853.
- Ye, Q., Law, R. & Gu, B. (2009). The impact of online user reviews on hotel room sales. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 28(1), 180-182.
- Yoo, K. & Gretzel, U. (2008). What motivates consumers to write online travel reviews?. Information Technology & Tourism, 10, 283-295.
- Zhang, Y., Feick, L. & Mittal, V. (2014). How males and females differ in their likelihood of transmitting negative word of mouth.. Journal of Consumer Research, 40(6), 1097-1108.
- Zhang, Z., Yea, Q., Law, R. & Li, Y. (2010). The impact of e-word-of-mouth on the online popularity of restaurants: A comparison of consumer reviews and editor reviews. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 29(4), 694-700.
- Zhu, F. & Zhang, X. (2010). Impact of online consumer reviews on sales: The moderating role of product and consumer characteristics. Journal of Marketing, 74(2), 133-148.