, PhD Student, University Kaposvár Germany, Hungary; German Doka formwork technology GmbH, Germany
This paper summarizes current political discussions and reports on xenophobic demonstrations and racist riots in the Saxon city of Chemnitz and contrasts them with the global context of the brand im-age of a premium watch manufacturer.
Chemnitz is a city in Saxony (in East Germany) with approx. 250,000 inhabitants. It examines the impact of images in the media and videos the medium-sized company NOMUS. The manufacturer is the company of NOMUS, a medium-sized manufacturer of luxury watches. NOMUS sold its luxury products in international cities all over the world. The production of watches takes place in the small town > Glashütte <. Glashütte is approx. 80 km away from Chemnitz, approx. 7,300 inhabitants live in Glashütte. NOMUS supplies a worldwide dealer network with subsidiaries in the USA, Canada, Cuba, Argentina, the U.A.E., India, China, Japan, Australia and Europe. NOMUS has 250 employees in the glassworks and 50 employees in a design studio in Berlin.
The main purpose of the research is to present the regional effects of racism in a Central German city on the national level of Germany and to evaluate the global economic effects for the location Germa-ny as such and the premium manufacturer of high-priced watches in particular. Subsequently, individual solutions for the local situation in the company and strategies for global marketing are sub-sumed. To describe the emergence of brand values, scientific literature is used; to systematize the current media coverage, the daily press must be used, in deviation from the scientific claim, since there are significant indications that the daily press has a significant influence on the perspective of the end customers of the premium watch manufacturer in the B2C business. A quantitative collection of customer data is dispensed with, and the expert interview is used as a methodical tool with the owners and managing directors of the watch manufacturer NOMUS. The aim of the research is also to empirically analyses the countermeasures taken in the company NOMUS and to theoretically con-firm their transferability to similar constellations. The research can be useful for the targeted control of reconnaissance campaigns and the targeted control of marketing activities in the international target countries.
The article should explicitly not be a political classification of the current demonstrations. The article should not occupy any pages. The article only examines the impact of regional media events on NOMUS’ global business.
Keywords: brand values, racist riots in Saxony, NOMUS-Glashütte, watch manufacturers in the premium segment, employee training against racism, world market for high-quality watches, regional economy.
JEL Classification: A20, D40, M14, M51.
Cite as: Zwerenz, D. (2019). Racism In Germany And The Global Consequences For Premium Brands. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(2), 54-62. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.3(2).54-62.2019.
- Balbontìn, R. (2017). conceptos. TR Tiempo de Relojes, (November), 57.
- Bassi, A. (2018). Design in Movimento. Revolution Italia, (June), 210-211.
- Baurmann, J.G. (2018). Counterclockwise. Time, 1(September), 25.
- Berndt, R., Altobelli, C. F., & Sander, M. (2018). International communication management. In International Marketing Management (pp. 365-426). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-46787-9
- Bradley, J., Morgenroth, E., & Untiedt, G. (2011). Analysis of the macroeconomic impact of the CSF on the economy of East Germany : research project supported under EU contract Development of a model for assessing the macroeconomic impacts of structural funds in East Germany. EconPapers, 2–3. Retrieved from https://econpapers.repec.org/RePEc:ces:ifodrs:30
- Brandmeyer, M. (2016). Success pattern of the Dresden brand. Retrieved from https://mediaserver.dresden.de/categories.php?cat_id=631
- Buck, C. L. (2018). Life in the fast lane. ELife, 7(June), 40. https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.35029
- Callon, M., Méadel, C., & Rabeharisoa, V. (2002). The economy of qualities. Economy and Society, 31, 194–217. https://doi.org/10.1080/03085140220123126
- Develi, M. (2017). Internationales Marketing. In Marketingmanagement. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-13656-7_20
- Ewing, J. (2017). ‘Our watches don’t beep’. The New York Times, p. 2.
- Foster, R. J. (2007). The work of the new economy: Consumers, Brands, and Value Creation. CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY, 22(4), 707–731. https://doi.org/10.1525/can.2007.22.4.707.CULTURAL
- Franke, J.-D. (2015). So far best times for watch manufacturer Nomos. Free Press, (December), 1.
- Glashütte : Key figures and ranking in the SME ranking. (2018). In The German Economy.
- Hallmann, G. (2017). From Glashütte via Berlin to New YorkFrom the Ore Mountains to the whole world ” More Marathon than Muckibude “” More Marathon than Muckibude “” More Marathon than Muckibude “” More Marathon than Muckibude “” More Marathon than Muckibude “. Berliner Morgenpost, pp. 1-10.
- Huang, Y., & Huddleston, P. (2009). Retailer premium own-brands : Retailer creating customer loyalty through own-brand products advantage. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 37(11), 975–992. https://doi.org/10.1108/09590550910999389
- Janning backfish, N. (2018). Deterministic environmental factors for competence and qualification requirements of logistics companies. In Competence and Qualification Requirements in Logistics (pp. 139-273). Springer Nature.
- Smart guy, J. (2011). Growth and employment in Dresden – Why is Dresden growing more slowly than the rest of Saxony? Publications by Researchers Of The Ifo Institute – Leibniz Institute For Economic Research At The University Of Munich Ifo Dresden Reports, Ifo Institute – Leibniz Institute For Economic Research At The University Of Munich, 10th Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10419/169968
- King, V. (2017a). Communication. In Basics of luxury and premium brand management (pp. 79-95). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-10746-8
- King, V. (2017b). Distribution and sales promotion. In Fundamentals of Luxury and Premium Brand Management (pp. 67-78). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-10746-8
- Latour, B. (1987). Reassembling the Social (p. 311). p. 311. Oxford.
- Märk, S., & Situm, M. (2018). A business opportunity – an entrepreneur – a country and then the world. In family businesses and their stakeholders (pp. 207-235). Springer Trade Media Wiesbaden.
- Mathews-Lefebvre, C., & Dubois, P.-L. (2011). Case study Retail branding as a value creation process : managerial and research priorities. Thought Leaders International Conference in Brand Management Conference, 30. Lugano.
- Mitcham, C. (2006). Book Reviews. Science Studies, 19, 93–95.
- Persson, N. (2010). Industrial Marketing Management An exploratory investigation of the elements of B2B brand image and its relationship to price premium. Industrial Marketuing Management, 39, 1269–1277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2010.02.024
- Editorial network. (2017). Nomos Glashütte presents a dream balance. Dresden Latest News.
- Reich, M. (1981). The Economics of Racism. In A Political-Economic Analysis (pp. 1–6).
- Shteyngart, G. (2017). Time Out. Black Enterprise, 37(March), 74. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=22902844&site=ehost-live
- Thieme, M. W. P. D. (2017). Further development of the luxury brand in digital times. Brand, e-journal, (April), 72-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-11090-1
- Thompson, C. E., & Neville, H. A. (1999). Racism, Mental Health, and Mental Health Practice. The Counseling Psychologist, 27, 155–223. https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000099272001
- Will, R. (2018). Clear message. The mirror, 2(September), 70-71.