Girmalem Nirea, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4722-2888
PhD Candidate, Lecturer, Department of Management, College of Business and Economics Adigrat University, Ethiopia
Negussie Semie, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2571-5972
PhD, Assistant Professor, Center for Rural Development, College of Developmental Studies, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Kotebe Metropolitan University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The major aim of this paper was to examine the factors that determine market supply of mangoes and red peppers by smallholder growers in Ahferom and Kola-Tembien Districts of Tigray National Regional State, Northern Ethiopia. Data were collected from a sample of 192 mango growers and 191 red pepper growers. Both descriptive statistics and econometric analysis applied for analyzing the collected data. The multiple linear regression model was applied to identify the factors determining mango and red pepper market supply. The result of the descriptive analysis showed that level of mangoes and red peppers production has been raised owing to high intervention and follow up of the regional government on the sector through increasing level of accountability and building competitive sprite among agricultural extension workers. 53.6% of the sample mango growers and 27.6% of the sample red pepper growers sold their produces to retailers. The result of the estimated parameter also indicated that level of mango production, sex of the household head, household family size, access to credit and total land size were the factors that determine marketable supply of mangoes by smallholder growers. Similarly, distance to nearest market, access to market information, total land size, cooperative membership and selling price were found to be determinants of the market supply of red peppers. Finally, the study recommended intervention in appropriate distribution of inputs, improvement in rural infrastructure, promoting and expanding mango and red pepper production for export and ensuring fair trade. The current market oriented agricultural system has to be supported by mechanisms of gathering and distributing market information, appropriate crop pricing and market linkages, which enhance market supply and improve the economic and social bargaining power of growers.
Keywords: determinant, market supply, production, smallholder growers.
JEL Classification: Q11.
Cite as: Girmalem Nirea, G., Negussie S., Degye G. (2019). Determinants of Mangoes and Red Peppers Market Supply in Ahferom and Kola-Tembien Districts of Tigray Region, Northern Ethiopia. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(4), 39-51. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.3(4).39-51.2019.
- Abraham, T. W. (2013). Value chain analysis of vegetables: The case of Habro and Kombolcha Districts in Oromia Region, Ethiopia (Master’s thesis). Haramaya University, Ethiopia. https://www.academia.edu/32829465/VALUE_CHAIN_ANALYSIS_OF_VEGETABLES_THE_CASE_OF_HABRO_AND_KOMBOLCHA_WOREDAS_IN_OROMIA_REGION
- Addisu, H. (2016). Value chain analysis of vegetables: The case of Ejere district, west Shoa zone, Oromia national regional state of Ethiopia (Master’s thesis). Haramaya University, Ethiopia. https://cgspace.cgiar.org/bitstream/handle/10568/77358/thesis_addisu_2016.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Adugna, G. T. (2009). Analysis of Fruits and Vegetables Market Chains in Alamata, Southern zone of Tigray, the Case of Onion, Tomato and Papaya (Master’s thesis). Haramaya University, Ethiopia. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7911/340853961adcaa422175b7b53469265513dd.pdf
- Ajmani, V. B. (2009). Applied econometrics using the SAS system. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. https://eco.cueb.edu.cn/docs/20160801190025412865.pdf
- Almaz, G., Workneh, N., Edilegnaw, W., & Gezahegn, A. (2014). Constraints of vegetables value chain analysis in Ethiopia: A gender perspective. International Journal of Advance Research in Management and Social Sciences, 4(12), 44-71. http://www.garph.co.uk/IJARMSS/Dec2014/6.pdf
- Baliyan, S. P. (2014). Improving sustainable vegetable production and income through net shading: A case study of Botswana. Journal of Agriculture and Sustainability, 5 (1), 70-103. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Improving-Sustainable-Vegetable-Production-and-Net-Baliyan/2784829e7451706a9ab7e000f2f33009f281c868
- Baloyi, J. K. (2010). An analysis of constraint facing smallholder farmers in the agribusiness value chain: A case study of farmers in the Limpopo Province (Master’s thesis). University of Pretoria, South Africa. https://repository.up.ac.za/handle/2263/29038
- Bekele, W., Jema, H., & Belaineh, L. (2017). Econometric analysis of the determinants of the quantity of potato supplied to the market: The case of Jeldu District of Oromia National Regional State, Ethiopia. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, 8 (13), 49-57. https://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEDS/article/view/37963
- Berhanu, K. (2012). Market access and value chain analysis of dairy industry in Ethiopia: The case of Wolaita Zone (Doctoral Dissertation). Haramaya University, Ethiopia. https://cgspace.cgiar.org/handle/10568/24943
- Bizualem, A., Degye, G., & Zekarias, S. (2015). Analysis of marketed surplus of coffee by smallholder farmers in Jimma zone, Ethiopia. Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare, 5 (5), 242-251. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/97e5/06164b7709760e8811ba85bb0e15e647655a.pdf
- Chmelarova, V. (2007). The Hausman test, and some alternatives, with heteroskedastic data (Doctoral Dissertation). Louisiana State University, USA. http://digitalcommons.lsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1935&context=gradschool_dissertations
- CSA (Central Statistical Agency). (2015). Report on Area and Production of Major Crops. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- EIA (Ethiopian Investment Agency) (2012). Investment Opportunity profile for the Production of Fruits and Vegetables in Ethiopia. Retrieved January 04, 2016 from http://ethemb.se/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Production-of-Fruits-and-Vegetables-in-Ethiopia.pdf
- Elias, A. G., Degefa, T., Martine, P., & Etienne, M. (2016). Food security and nutritional impacts of smallholder farmers’ participation in dairy value chain in Ethiopia. Journal of International Business and Economics, 16 (1544-8037), 21-38. https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02149426/
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations & World Health Organization). (2004). Fruits and Vegetables for Health. Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Workshop, 1- 3 September 2004. Kobe, Japan. http://www.fao.org/3/a-y5861e.pdf
- Fayera, B., Tsegaye, B, & Teshale, W. (2017). Market supply determinants of lowland bamboo culms: The case of Homosha district, Northwestern Ethiopia. African journal of Marketing Management, 9(4), 46-58. https://academicjournals.org/journal/AJMM/article-full-text-pdf/F7B40D264352
- Getachew, D., Zemedu, L., & Eshete, A. (2016). Mushroom value chain analysis in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Journal of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development, 8 (8), 130-140. https://academicjournals.org/journal/JAERD/article-abstract/812185C59463
- Girmalem, N. (2011). Identifying challenges and opportunities on the development of sustainable vegetable agro-industries in the national regional state of Tigray (Master’s thesis). Mekelle University, Ethiopia. https://opendocs.ids.ac.uk/opendocs/bitstream/handle/20.500.12413/4541/Identifying%20Challenges%20and%20Opportunities
- Gujarati, D. (2004). Basic econometrics (4th Ed.). New Delhi, India: Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited. https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Econometrics-4th-Damodar-Gujarati/dp/0070597936
- Habtamu, G. (2015). Analysis of potato value chain in Hadya zone of Ethiopia (Master’s thesis). Haramaya University, Ethiopia. DOI: 10.33495/jeibm_v7i1.19.104
- Kassa, A., Bauer, H., Debesey, S., Deckers, T., Alemtsehay, T., Hailay, T., Mengesha, G., Mitiku, H., Kindeya, G., & Deckers, S. (Eds.) (2009). Tigray Fruit Forum. Proceedings of a meeting held on 3 February, 2009. Mekelle, Tigray, Ethiopia. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Joost_Dessein/publication/233636357_Developers_and_farmers_intertwining
- Katalin, J. (2012). Competitive study of the fruit and vegetable supply chain in the Netherlands (Doctoral dissertation). Szent István University, Gödöllő. https://szie.hu/file/tti/archivum/Jasso_Katalin_thesis.pdf
- Kotler, P., & Keller, K. L. (2006). Marketing management (12th Ed.). USA: Pearson Education Inc. https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/4070618
- Liliana-Adina, N. (2012). Value chains versus supply chains. Retrieved May 16, 2016 from http://andrei.clubcisco.ro/cursuri/f/f-sym/5master/ssa-fss/Week-10%20No14.pdf
- Mebrat, T. (2014). Tomato value chain analysis in the central rift valley: The case of Dugda woreda, east Shoa zone, Oromia national regional state, Ethiopia (Master’s thesis). Haramaya University, Ethiopia. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Tomato-Value-Chain-Analysis-in-The-Central-Rift-The-Tola-Ketema/a7a4bc6a0684c108b9cb9e193b8021ab1b4e1ec8
- Nga, B., Cuong, T., Ha L., & Lebailly, P. (2012). Milk production and marketing in small dairy holders in the Northern area of Vietnam: A case study in Phu Dong Vietnam. Vietnam’s Socio-Economic Development: A Social Science Review, 71, 57-69. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4eb7/f12dbafa97d96327165d38e03513fa34352a.pdf
- Plazibat, I., Cejvanovic, F., & Vasiljevic, Z. (n.d.). Analysis of fruit and vegetable value chains. https://hrcak.srce.hr/index.php?show=clanak&id_clanak_jezik=251894
- POSLOVNA IZVRSNOST ZAGREB, GOD. X (2016). Retrieved July 16, 2016 from https://www.scribd.com /document/393259656/businessexcellence11022016-2
- Rousseeuw, R. J. and Leroy, A. M. (1987). Robust Regression and Outlier Detection. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/cem.1180020410
- Stock, J. and Watson, M. (2011). Introduction to econometrics (3rd Ed.).USA: Pearson Education Inc. https://econometricsweb.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/stock-watson-econometrics-3rd-edition-ilovepdf-compressed.pdf
- Takele, H., Endrias, G., & Amsalu, M. (2017). Determinants of market outlet choices of the smallholder mango producers: The case of Boloso Bombe Woreda, Wolaita zone, Southern Ethiopia. A multivariate approach. Global Journal of Science Frontier Research: D Agriculture and Veterinary, 17 (2), 23-30. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Determinants-of-Market-Outlet-Choice-of-the-Mango-%3A-Honja-Geta/ab4a36ac6d9171cd72aa1d6fe8797c1a245d2bbb
- Tamasese, E. (2009). An Analytical Study of Selected Fruit and Vegetable Value Chains in Samoa. Food and agriculture organization of the United Nations (FAO), AAACP Paper Series No. 10. http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/est/AAACP/pacific/FAO_AAACP_Paper_Series_No_10_1_.pdf