Sanjeet Mahapatra, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6622-5478
Graduate Scholar, Xavier University, Bhubaneshwar, India
Anand Pandey, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8460-8475
Founder, Fundamental Action and Research Foundation, Bengaluru, India
Badri Narayanan, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9628-8173
PhD, Economist, School of Environment and Forestry Sciences, University of Washington Seattle, USA
The main purpose of the study is to develop theoretical and practical principles for analyzing the economic efficiency of the program to guarantee employment in rural areas in India. This program of support and active promotion of employment of the rural population is the result of the adoption of the Law on Guarantees of Employment in Rural Areas. The relevance of the choice of this scientific problem is that most scientific papers focus on assessing the effectiveness of the implementation of this legal act at the macro level, while the article analyzes this issue at the level of a particular locality. The object of the study was the village of Sanatpur in Uttar Pradesh, India. The study conducted a survey of participants in the program to guarantee employment in this rural area, which served as a basis for primary data, as well as used official statistics on the implementation of this program in the country. Descriptive statistics methods were used to analyze the effectiveness of the program to guarantee employment in rural areas. The article analyzes the mechanism of implementation of the program to guarantee employment in rural areas, namely the peculiarities of job creation in rural areas, the formation of wage policy, as well as the payment of wages to local residents. The field study identified key difficulties in implementing the above program: insufficient awareness of villagers about the opportunities and benefits of participating in the approved employment support program, as well as low access to basic financial services and lack of almost 70% of the rural population individual bank accounts. The results of the study can be useful for local and national governments in the field of social protection and social security.
Keywords: decentralized planning, wage payment, job guarantee.
JEL Classification: J01.
Cite as: Mahapatra, S., Pandey, A., Narayanan, B. (2020). Socio-Economic Analysis of Effectiveness of Implementation of an Employment Guarantee Scheme at Local Level: A Study of a Village in India. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(2), 23-30. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.4(2).23-30.2020.
- Indira Bishnoi, Sarita Verma, Swati Rai (2012). MNREGA: An Initiative towards Poverty Alleviation through Employment Generation. Indian Research Journal of Extension Education Special Issue. Volume 1, January. https://scholar.google.co.in/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,5&cluster=17681286830757140256
- Government of India (2012). An Anthology of Research Studies on the MGNREGA: 2006-2012. Ministry of Rural Development. Orient Blackswan Private Limited. https://web.archive.org/web/20130921125532/http://nrega.nic.in/netnrega/writereaddata/Circulars/MGNREGA_SAMEEKSHA.pdf. Accessed on Feb 15, 2020.
- Sadhana Gupta, Subodh Kumar and Manoj Kumar (2017). Impact of MNREGA and level of awareness on Socio–economic profile of rural women in Faizabad district. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 6(6), 303-305. http://www.phytojournal.com/archives/2017/vol6issue6/PartE/6-6-81-460.pdf
- Praveen Gupt (2015). Millennium Development Goals through MNREGA. Journal of Political Sciences & J Public Affairs, S1. DOI: 10.4172/2332-0761.S1-002. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Millennium-Development-Goals-through-MNREGA-Gupt/6a5a426d88424d62d35858f974193b735ff44108.
- R. Sathishkumar, & Kumar, D. K. R. (2020). Mgnrega’s Evaluation and It’ S Impacts on Rural Labour Market. Our Heritage, 68(30), 1663-1694. Available Online at: https://archives.ourheritagejournal.com/index.php/oh/article/view/3542
- World Bank (2008). Social Audits: from ignorance to awareness. The AP experience. Available online at https://web.archive.org/web/20140315212637/http://www.newsyaps.com/nrega-effects-andimplications/ 101064/. Accessed on Feb 15, 2020.
- Sarabjeet D. Natesan, Rahul Ratnakar Marathe (2017). Evaluation of MGNREGA: data envelopment analysis approach. International Journal of Social Economics; 44(2), 181-194. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IJSE-05-2015-0114/full/html
- Tiwari, Rakesh et al. (2011). MGNREGA for Environmental Service Enhancement and Vulnerability Reduction: Rapid Appraisal in Chitradurga District, Karnataka, Economic and Political Weekly (EPW), May 14, XLVI (20), 39-47. https://www.jstor.org/stable/23018212?seq=1
- Azam M. (2012). The Impact of Indian Job Guarantee Scheme on Labor Market Outcomes: Evidence from a Natural Experiment. IZA Discussion Paper No. 6548. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1941959
- Selvamani P. (2012). MGNREGP and Women’s Participation in India. IJSR – International Journal of Scientific Research, 1(7), 38-41. https://www.worldwidejournals.com/international-journal-of-scientific-research-(IJSR)/file.php?val=December_2012_1354295023_26e08_15.pdf
- Magda Tsaneva & Uttara Balakrishnan (2019). The Effect of a Workfare Programme on Psychological Wellbeing in India. The Journal of Development Studies, 55(12), 2593-2609. DOI: 10.1080/00220388.2018.1502879.
- Gaiha R and Imai K. (2005). A Review of the Employment Guarantee Scheme in India . Policy Case Study: Labour Markets and Employment. Delhi and Manchester: Interregional Inequality Facility, University of Delhi and University of Manchester, June. http://hummedia.manchester.ac.uk/schools/soss/economics/discussionpapers/EDP-0513.pdf
- Swamikannan, D. and G. Lakshmi (2011). Role of Women Beneficiaries in Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Programme – A Case Study. ECONSPEAK, 1 (4), 12-24. http://skirec.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ECON-SPEAK-PAPER-2-5.pdf
- Subbarao K (2001). Systemic Shocks and Social Protection. Role and Effectiveness of Public Works Programs. Africa Region Human Development Working Paper Series. Washington DC: World Bank https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/11819/333510SSNPrimerNote1.pdf?se
- Tata (2011). An evaluation of MGNREGA in Kerala; Tata Institute of Social Sciences. http://www.nregs.kerala.gov.in/images/studies/tiss.pdf
- Reddy, Gangadhara Y and Aswath G.R. (2016). Performance of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act in Karnataka, India. International Research Journal of Social Sciences, 5(1), 15-19. http://www.isca.in/IJSS/Archive/v5/i1/3.ISCA-IRJSS-2015-271.pdf
- Salian, Prasanna V. and D. S. Leelavathi (2014). Implementation of Mgnrega in Karnataka: Issues And Challenges. Journal of Rural Development, 33 (3), 261-279. http://nirdprojms.in/index.php/jrd/article/view/93269