Belen Suarez Lopez, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6323-2621
Reacción Economica, Lead Economist Researcher and CEO; ISO56008 Member Expert for Innovation Measurements at ISO – International Organization for Standardization, Spain
Antonio Vargas Alcaide, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9791-2377
Economist Research, Project Manager Professional at Blockhub, Spain
Today, the coronavirus infection COVID-2019 deals a devastating blow to the economies of most countries due to disruption of production chains, bankruptcy of small and medium-sized businesses, increasing the number of unemployed and more. Under these conditions, the coverage of digitalization of all sectors of the economy and basic spheres of life of citizens becomes especially important. The article is devoted to the analysis of the possibilities of the latest blockchain technologies, artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things in view of their impact on the transformation of the business process management system. The study used methods of bibliographic analysis of scientific publications and analytical reports of international organizations related to the concept of “Industry 4.0” and diseases of coronavirus infection, analyzing from the audit point of view, how to reinforce the principles of transparency, responsibility, and participation. It has been proven that blockchain technology is able to service online payments without intermediaries, receipt and transfer of digital assets, as well as political elections and voting. Artificial intelligence models can help map, manage, predict, and model complex processes, reducing uncertainty, and supporting professionals in decision-making. The Internet of Things allows you to transfer information, improve control and automation, and provides opportunities to optimize the company’s operating costs. The result of the study can be practically valuable for many stakeholders: auditors – conducting audits by artificial intelligence; public administration – developing measures to address the economic, social and political crisis triggered by the pandemic, by building trust between government and citizens through communication, and by ensuring transparency and accountability.
Keywords: blockchain, artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, COVID-19, health care crisis, economic crisis, political crisis, control, public administration, financial management.
JEL Classification: H12, H83, I15, M48, O35.
Cite as: Lopez, B.S., Alcaide, A.V. (2020). Blockchain, AI and IoT to Improve Governance, Financial Management and Control of Crisis: Case Study COVID-19. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(2), 78-89. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.4(2).78-89.2020.
- ACCA (2019). Audit and Technology. https://www.accaglobal.com/us/en/professional-insights/technology/audit-and-tech.html.
- Cheong et al. (2020). Smart Audit: the digital transformation of the audit. ECA Documents. https://www.eca.europa.eu/Lists/ECADocuments/JOURNAL20_01/JOURNAL20_01.pdf.
- Colombo (2020). Resilient Health Systems: What we are learning from the COVID-19 crisis. https://www.oecd-forum.org/users/382555-francesca-colombo/posts/64973-resilient-health-systems-what-we-are-learning-from-the-covid-19-crisis.
- CPA Canada (2018). Audit Considerations Related to Cryptocurrency Assets and Transactions. https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/business-and-accounting-resources/audit-and-assurance/canadianauditing-standards-cas/publications/cryptocurrency-audit-considerations.
- Dai and Vasarhelyi (2017). Toward blockchain-based accounting and assurance. Journal of Information Systems, 31(3), 5-21. American Accounting Association. DOI: 10.2308/isys-51804.
- Escola and Kadi (2017). Strategic Thinking for Public Management: Confluence for the PLanning, Organization, Direction and Control. http://ojs.urbe.edu/index.php/coeptum/article/download/1677/3804?inline=1.
- EU Blockchain Observatory and Forum (2020). Convergence of Blockchain, AI and IoT. https://www.eublockchainforum.eu/sites/default/files/report_convergence_v1.0.pdf.
- Friga and Paul (2020). Scenario Planning for Coronavirus. Inside Higher Ed. https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2020/03/13/using-strategic-thinking-and-scenario-planning-deal-coronavirus-opinion.
- Lopez (2013). An Introduction on the Internet of Things (IoT). https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/solutions/trends/iot/introduction_to_IoT_november.pdf.
- Marr (2018). What is Industry 4.0? Here´s A Super Easy Explanation For Anyone. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2018/09/02/what-is-industry-4-0-heres-a-super-easy-explanation-for-anyone/#5a10001f9788.
- Mawela (2012). Strategic planning for transformational government: A South African perspective. E-leadership Conference on Sustainable e-Government and e-Business Innovations (E-LEADERSHIP), Pretoria, 2012, pp. 1-9, DOI: 10.1109/e-Leadership.2012.6524705.
- Micali and Silvio (2020). Algorand´s Approach to COVID-19 Tracing. https://www.algorand.com/resources/blog/silvio-micali-approach-to-covid-19.
- Narula et al. (2018). ZkLedger: Privacy-Preserving Auditing for Distributed Ledgers. https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/nsdi18/nsdi18-narula.pdf.
- Regalado (2020). What is group immunity and how it can stop the coronavirus. https://www.technologyreview.es/s/12035/que-es-la-inmunidad-de-grupo-y-como-puede-detener-al-coronavirus.
- Rozario and Thomas (2019). Reengineering the audit with blockchain and smart contracts. Journal of Emerging Technologies in Accounting, 16(1), 21-35. https://doi.org/10.2308/jeta-52432.
- Rozario and Vasarhelyi (2018). Auditing with Smart Contracts. International Journal of Digital Accounting Research, 18. chrome-extension://ohfgljdgelakfkefopgklcohadegdpjf/https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3122/b35e03fb9758108550327d493e2e4748ad2d.pdf.
- Scarpetta and Steffano (2020). Beyond Containment: Health systems responses to COVID-19 in the OECD. Available at: https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/view/?ref=119_119689-ud5comtf84&title=Beyond_Containment:Health_systems_responses_to_COVID-19_in_the_OECD.
- Setti et al. (2020). Report on the effect of air pollution and the spread of virus in the population. Available at: http://www.simaonlus.it/wpsima/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID19_Position-Paper_Relazione-circa-l%E2%80%99effetto-dell%E2%80%99inquinamento-da-particolato-atmosferico-e-la-diffusione-di-virus-nella-popolazione.pdf.
- Belen Suarez Lopez, David Issó García, Antonio Vargas Alcaide (2019). Blockchain Technology Facing Socioeconomic Challenges. Promise versus Probability. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(4), 13-24. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.3(4).13-24.2019.