Bolatito Amudat Brimah, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3272-0304
PhD, Head of the Department of Business Administration, Faculty of Management Sciences, Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin, Nigeria
Ayodeji Gbenga Bamidele, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1114-0714
PhD, Course Facilitator, Department of Business & Entrepreneurship, School of Business and Governance, Kwara State University, Malete
Rukayat Oloruntoyin Rabiu, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9781-039X
M.Sc., Department of Business Administration, Faculty of Management Sciences, Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin, Nigeria
Iliya Senchi John, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2711-0412
Department of Business Administration, Faculty of Management Sciences, Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin, Nigeria
In modern conditions, the competitiveness of enterprises largely depends on the ability of management to ensure the necessary economic efficiency of operational activities, achieving strategic and tactical goals, rational use of labor, financial and material resources, which determines the relevance of research on innovative approaches to management “by goals”. The article substantiates that this concept is focused on increasing productivity through clear guidelines for each employee of the organization and increase staff motivation through its participation in setting their own goals. The main purpose of the study is to examine the relationship between the practical use of the method of “goal management” in the company and its organizational effectiveness. The object of the study was selected pharmaceutical company “Tuyil” (Ilorin, Nigeria) and its staff with a representative sample of 242 people. The source of the primary information in this study was the results of a survey of company employees. The analysis of the survey results was performed using the methods of descriptive statistics and analysis of variance (ANOVA). It is empirically confirmed and theoretically proved that the practical application of the principles of “goal management” is closely correlated with the efficiency of the company. The results of the study provide recommendations for improving the system of “goal management” in the company, namely: the creation of favorable internal relations among employees, which would guarantee their commitment and loyalty to the organizational goals and objectives of the company; Establishing feedback, which involves constant monitoring of the achievement of goals and determining their progress in the implementation of specific tasks, as well as bringing to the management of those unplanned problems that arise in the process of achieving goals.
Keywords: goal commitment, performance feedback, task complexity, organisation, Nigeria.
JEL Classification: D23, L21, M10.
Cite as: Brimah, B.A., Bamidele, A.G., Rabiu, R.O., John, I.S. (2020). The Connexus of Management by Objectives and Organisational Performance: Evidence from Tuyil Pharmaceutical Limited, Ilorin. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(2), 90-98. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.4(2).90-98.2020.
- Armstrong, M. (2009). Armstrong’s Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice. New York, NY: Kogan Page Publishers. https://www.academia.edu/32280546/ARMSTRONGS_HANDBOOK_OF_HUMAN_RESOURCE_MANAGEMENT_PRACTICE_i.
- Armstrong, M. and Baron, A. (2005). Managing performance: performance management in action. New York McGraw Hill Book Co. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Managing-Performance-Management-Developing-Practice/dp/1843981017.
- Armstrong, M. (2012). Armstrong’s Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice. New York, NY: Kogan Page Publishers. https://e-uczelnia.uek.krakow.pl/pluginfile.php/604792/mod_folder/content/0/Armstrongs%20Handbook%20of%20Human%20Resource%20Management%20Practice_1.pdf?forcedownload=1.
- Atkinson, W. (2005). Setting goals and measuring performance. Collections & Credit Risk, 10(8), 32-34. chrome-extension://ohfgljdgelakfkefopgklcohadegdpjf/http://jbepnet.com/journals/Vol_3_No_1_March_2016/8.pdf.
- Brim, R. (2012). A history of MBO and recommendations for today’s managers: Helping people be productive. From MBO to DEMING to project management and beyond. White paper prepared on performance solutions technology, LLC. https://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:eco:journ.
- Daft, R. L., Murphy, J., & Willmott, H. (2010). Organization theory and design. Cengage learning EMEA. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/310455811.
- Drucker, P., E. (1954). The Practice of Management, New York, 1954. https://www.worldcat.org/title/practice-of-management/oclc/230717.
- Drucker, P., F. (1986). The Frontiers of Management, Truman Talley Books, New York. https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/8737984.
- Guilford and Flusher (1973). Fundamental statistics in psychology education. McGrawill, New York. Pp. 100-105. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/sce.3730410357.
- Islamia, X, Mulollia,E, Mustafa,N (2018). Using Management by Objectives as a performance appraisal tool for employee satisfaction. Future Business Journal. 4(1), 94–108. https://www.academia.edu/36013700/Using_Management_by_Objectives_as_a_performance_appraisal_tool_for_employee_satisfaction.
- Klein, H. J., Wesson, J. M., Hollenbeck, J.K., Wright, P.M., & DeShon, R.P. (2001). The assessment of goal commitment: A measurement model meta-analysis. Organizational Behavior and human Decision Process, 85 (1), 32-55. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11341816.
- Klein, H. J., Wesson J. M., Hollenbeck J. R., & Alge, B. J. (1997). Goal commitment and the Goal-setting Process: Conceptual Clarification and Empirical Synthesis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 84 (6), 885-896. https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1999-15531-005.
- Kinga, O. & Flak, O. (2016). Management by objectives as a method of measuring teams’ effectiveness. Journal of positive management, 6(3), 67–82. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301597505_MANAGEMENT_BY_OBJECTIVES_AS_A_METHOD_OF_MEASURING_TEAMS’_EFFECTIVENESS.
- Latham, G. P., & Locke, E. A. (1979). Goal setting—A motivational technique that works. Organizational Dynamics, 8(2), 68–80. https://www.academia.edu/26293644/Goal_setting_A_motivational_technique_that_works.
- Latham, G.P (2004). The motivational benefits of goal-setting. The Academy of Management Executive, 18(4), 126-145. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/496c/f6e7b4a42945deb49f54a7ce271cbca1562e.pdf.
- Locke, E. A. & Latham, G. P. (1991). Goal theory vs. control theory: Contrasting approaches to understanding work motivation. Motivation and Emotion, 15 (1), 9–28. https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=hGANRIXbkp0C&pg=PA466&lpg=PA466&dq=16.%09Locke,+E.+A.+%26+Latham,+G.+P.+(1991).+Goal+theory+vs.+control+theory:+Contrasting+approaches+to+understanding+work+motivation.+Motivation+and+Emotion,+15+(1),+9%E2%80%9328.&source=bl&ots=yFW-J9Ctib&sig=ACfU3U0aQfFTHviqWv6LAQi599JonURZ4Q&hl=uk&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiou7CKzPLpAhWK6KYKHZ6YCJ0Q6AEwAHoECAgQAQ.
- Locke, E.A & Latham, G.P. (2013). New developments in goal setting and task performance, Wals worth Publishing Company, USA. https://www.amazon.com/Developments-Goal-Setting-Task-Performance/dp/0415885485.
- Locke, E. A., & Latham, G. P. (2002). Building a practically useful theory of goal setting and task motivation: A 35-year Odyssey. American Psychologist, 57 (9), 705-717. http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/amp/57/9/705/.
- Locke, E. A. & Latham, G. P. (2006). New directions in goal-setting theory. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 15 (5), 265–268. https://home.ubalt.edu/tmitch/642/Articles%20syllabus/locke%20latham%20new%20dir%20GS%20curr%20dir%20psy%20sci%202006.pdf
- Ofojebe, W. (2011). Relevance and benefits of management by objectives to secondary school management in Anambra State:Teachers views. International Journal of Educational Administration and Policy Studies, 2(7), 99-104. https://www.academia.edu/11161653/Relevance_and_benefits_of_management_by_objectives_to_secondary_school_management_in_Anambra_State_Teachers_views.
- Ofojebe, W.N. & Olibie, E.I. (2014). Management by Objectives (MBO) Imperatives for Transforming Higher Education for a Globalised World. Journal of International Education and Leadership, 4 (2), 1-10. chrome-extension://ohfgljdgelakfkefopgklcohadegdpjf/https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1135899.pdf.
- Ojokuku, R.M. (2012). Human Resource Management Demands and Challenges in Small and Medium Scale Enterprises, International Journal of Economic Development Research and Investment. 3(3), 1-10. https://www.icidr.org/ijedri_vol3_no3_dec2012/Human%20Resources%20Management%20Demands%20and%20Challenges%20in%20Small%20and%20
- Rodgers, R. & Hunter, J. E. (1991). Impact of management by objectives on organizational productivity. Journal of Applied Psychology, 76(2), 322. https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1991-25999-001
- Thompson, K.R., Luthans, F., and Terpening, Willbann, D. (2015). The Effects of MBO on Performance and Satisfaction in a Public Sector Organization (1981). Leadership Institute Faculty Publications. Journal of Management 7(1). 53–68. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1021&context=leadershipfacpub
- Wu, B. (2005). The philosophy and practice of Management by Objectives. Alabama, United States: Troy State University. http://libroweb.alfaomega.com.mx/book/385/free/data/Materiales/Capitulo05/ThePhilosophyandPractice.pdf.