PhD, Senior Research Fellow, Department of Accounting and Taxation, Sumy State University, Ukraine
Hab. Dr., Professor, Faculty of Organization and Management, Silesian University of Technology, Poland
The article analyzes the socio-economic consequences of the armed conflict for the economic development of the ATO regions. The key problems related to the temporarily occupied territories were identified, the directions of their solution and the role that impact investment can play in this were specified. A dynamic analysis of indicators of socio-economic development of Ukrainian economy as a whole and in the regional context for the period from 2012 to 2019 was conducted. It is determined that the loss of territorial control has led to a significant deterioration of the economy in Ukraine; the assessment of losses of economic potential at the anti-terrorist operation zone was carried out. The social component of this issue is analyzed separately, namely, how the conflict affected the population, the loss of human capital, in particular due to mass displacement. These include human losses, forced displacement, destruction of physical infrastructure, disruption of so-called soft economic infrastructure (for example, existing links between sellers and consumers). Given the scale of losses and consequences, we can talk about a wide range of areas for impact investment, related to economic recovery in post-conflict regions. The article presents a list of steps to restore the occupied territories, which can be translated into the plane of solving socio-economic problems, as well as an assessment of the overall needs for the restoration of government-controlled areas of the ATO. This allowed us to conclude that the restoration of infrastructure is one of the most promising areas for attracting investment and implementing impact investment. However, a study of this area for investment revealed that not all areas will be cost-effective and attractive to investors. Therefore, the direction of impact investments immediately after the political settlement of the conflict in Donbass in infrastructure should be expected only in the field of telecommunications. Other sectors will receive private investment only after a few years of stability, so only public financial support and public investment policy should be considered a key source of funding.
Keywords: socio-economic consequences, recovery, military conflict, impact investment, loss assessment, development
JEL Classification: F50, F51, H12, H56, O52.
Cite as: Yelnikova, Yu., Kuzior, A. (2020). Overcoming The Socio-Economic Consequences Of Military Conflict in Ukraine And The Impact Investment Of Post-Conflict Recovery Of Anti-Terrorist Operation. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(3), 132-142. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.4(3).132-142.2020.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Bello W. (2006). The Rise of the Relief and Reconstruction Complex. Journal of International Affairs, 59(2), 281-296. Available at: https://ic.ucsc.edu/~rlipsch/pol160A/Bello.pdf.
- Paul Collier and Anke Hoeffler (2005). Paradigm in Distress? Primary Commodities and Civil War. The Journal of Conflict Resolution, 49(4), 625-633. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1177/0022002705277551.
- Coning C. (2008). The Coherence Dilemma in Peacebuilding and PostConflict Reconstruction Systems. African Journal on Conflict Resolution, 8(3), 85-110. Available at: https://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajcr/article/view/39432.
- Murithi T. (2005). Towards a Symbiotic Partnership: The UN Peacebuilding Commission and The Evolving African Union/NEPAD Post Conflict Reconstruction Framework. Available at: https://www.unitar.org/ny/sites/unitar.org.ny/files/BC%20AU%20Edited%20Final%20Version.pdf.
- Report on the human rights situation in Ukraine 16 November 2019 to 15 February 2020. https://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/UA/29thReportUkraine_EN.pdf.
- Schwartz, Jordan; Halkyard, Pablo (2006). Post-Conflict Infrastructure: Trends in Aid and Investment Flows. Viewpoint: Public Policy for the Private Sector; Note No. 305. http://documents1.worldbank.org/curated/en/466271468313544274/pdf/356680VP0rev0305Schwartz1Halkyard.pdf.
- World Bank (2006). World Bank, Washington, DC.. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/11187.
- Alexandrova М.М. (2011). Rozvytok systemy strakhuvannya silʹsʹkohospodarsʹkykh kulʹtur [Development of the crop insurance system]. PhD Thesis, Kyiv, 20 p. Available at: link.
- Vyhovska N.G. (2010). Rozvytok systemy finansovoho kontrolyu v Ukrayini [Development of the financial control system in Ukraine]. PhD Thesis, Kyiv, 36 p. Available at: link.
- Ministerstvo sotsial’noyi polityky. Vnutrishn’o peremishcheni osoby. [Ministry of Social Policy. Internally displaced persons]. Available at: https://www.msp.gov.ua/timeline/Vnutrishno-peremishcheni-osobi.html.
- Drozd I.K. (2006). Systema finansovo-ekonomichnoho kontrolyu v Ukrayini [The system of financial and economic control in Ukraine]. PhD Thesis, Kyiv, 33 p. Available at: link.
- Yevdokymov V.V. (2011). Kontseptsiya intehrovanoyi systemy bukhhaltersʹkoho obliku: teoriya, metodolohiya, orhanizatsiya [The concept of an integrated accounting system: theory, methodology, organization]. PhD Thesis, Zhytomyr, 37 p. Available at: link.
- Kindratsʹka L.M. (2002). Systema bukhhaltersʹkoho obliku v komertsiynykh bankakh: metodolohiya ta praktyka [Accounting system in commercial banks: methodology and practice]. PhD Thesis, Kyiv, 32 p. Available at: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=6250997489287785732&hl=en&oi=scholarr.
- Kondratenko, V., Okopnyk, O., Ziganto, L., & Kwilinski, A. (2020). Innovation Development of Public Administration: Management and Legislation Features. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 87-94. Available at: https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.1-06.
- Kozmenko O.V. (1998). Systema strakhuvannya ekolohichnykh i katastrofichnykh ryzykiv [Environmental and catastrophic insurance]. PhD Thesis, 20 p. Available at: link.
- Koldovs’kyi A.V. (2013). Systema valyutnoho rehulyuvannya v konteksti finansovoyi nestabilʹnosti ekonomiky [Currency regulation system in the context of financial instability of the economy]. PhD Thesis, Sumy, 20 p. Available at: link.
- Kuzior, A., & Zozuľak, J. (2019). Adaptation of the Idea of Phronesis in Contemporary Approach to Innovation. Management Systems in Production Engineering, 27(2), 84-87. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1515/mspe-2019-0014.
- Kuzior, A., & Kuzior, P. (2020). The Quadruple Helix Model as a Smart City Design Principle. Virtual Economics, 3(1), 39-57. Available at: https://doi.org/10.34021/ve.2020.03.01(2).
- Кwilinski, A. (2018). Mechanism of Modernization of Industrial Sphere of Industrial Enterprise in Accordance with Requirements of the Information Economy. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 116-128. Available at: http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2018.4-11.
- Kwilinski, A., & Kuzior, A. (2020). Cognitive Technologies in the Management and Formation of Directions of the Priority Development of Industrial Enterprises. Management Systems in Production Engineering, 28(2), 133-138. Available at: https://doi.org/10.2478/mspe-2020-0020.
- Kwilinski, A., Pajak, K., Halachenko, O., Vasylchak, S., Pushak, Ya., & Kuzior, P. (2019). Marketing Tools for Improving Enterprise Performance in the Context of Social and Economic Security of the State: Innovative Approaches to Assessment. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 172-181. Available at: http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2019.4-14.
- Kwilinski, A., Tkachenko, V., Kuzior, A. (2019). Transparent cognitive technologies to ensure sustainable society development. Journal of Security and Sustainability Issues, 9(2), 561-570. Available at: http://doi.org/10.9770/jssi.2019.9.2(15).
- Luk’yanenko I.H. (2005). Systemne modelyuvannya mekhanizmu byudzhetnoho rehulyuvannya [System modeling of the mechanism of budgetary regulation]. PhD Thesis, Kyiv, 34 p. Available at: link.
- Lyashenko, V., & Pidorycheva, I. (2019). The formation of interstate and cross-border scientific-educational and innovative spaces between Ukraine and the European Union member states in the digital economy. Virtual Economics, 2(2), 48-60. Available at: https://doi.org/10.34021/ve.2019.02.02(3).
- Matukhno M.O. (2014). Systema administruvannya PDV v Ukrayini: stan ta perspektyvy rozvytku [VAT administration system in Ukraine: state and prospects of development]. Scientific Bulletin of ChDIEU, 3(23), Irpin, pp. 142-146. Available at: http://journals.uran.ua/nvgeci/article/view/38164.
- Mikhnevych, L., Marchenko, V. Hristov, P., & Kuzior, A. (2020). Conceptual Relationships Between Country Image and Economic Security. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 285-293. Available at: https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.1-24.
- Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine. Donbass deoccupation plan “Small steps mechanism”. Available at: https://mvs.gov.ua/ua/pages/4446_Deokupaciya_Donbasu.htm/.
- Nikitishyn A.O. (2009). Systema opodatkuvannya dokhodiv fizychnykh osib [The system of personal income taxation]. PhD Thesis, Kyiv, 20 p. Available at: link.
- Assessment of the restoration and development of peace (2015). Analysis of the impact of the crisis and needs in eastern Ukraine: Consolidated report of the EU, the UN and the World Bank Group. 84 p. Available at: http://www.un.org.ua/images/RPA_V1_Ukr.pdf.
- Pająk, K., Kamińska, B., & Kvilinskyi, O. (2016). Modern Trends of Financial Sector Development under the Virtual Regionalization Conditions. Financial and Credit Activity: Problems of Theory and Practice, 2(21), 204-217. https://doi.org/10.18371/fcaptp.v2i21.91052.
- Paslavska R.Yu. (2014). Sutnistʹ systemy administruvannya podatkiv ta osoblyvosti yiyi funktsionuvannya v Ukrayini [The essence of the tax administration system and features of its functioning in Ukraine], Aktualʹni problemy rozvytku ekonomiky rehionu [Current problems of economic development of the region], issue 9, Lviv, pp. 58-63. Available at: link.
- Reznikova O.O. (2001). Systema valyutnoho rehulyuvannya v Ukrayini na suchasnomu etapi [Currency regulation system in Ukraine at the current stage]. PhD Thesis, Kyiv, 18 p. Available at: link.
- Surmin Yu.P. (2003). Teoriya sistem i sistemnyy analiz: ucheb. posobiye [Systems theory and systems analysis: textbook]. Kyiv: MAUP. 368 p. Available at: http://maup.com.ua/assets/files/lib/book/n571.pdf.