Department of Marketing, Sumy State University, Ukraine
Doctor of Economics, Associate Professor, Department of Marketing, Sumy State University, Ukraine
PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Marketing, Sumy State University, Ukraine
The paper aimed to formalise the relationship between the level of Ukrainian energy efficiency from 30 indicators of social, ecological and economic development of the country. The main purpose of the study is to identify the impact and dependence of socio-ecological and economic indicators on the level of energy efficiency using multiple correlation-regression analysis. The systematisation of the analysed results allowed identifying the core directions to overcome the issues of the slow pace of energy efficiency improvement and the development of carbon neutrality of the country. The relevance of this scientific solution to the problem is that the level of energy efficiency is influenced by a large number of socio-ecological and economic factors sometimes independent of each other. The authors analysed the relationship between the level of energy efficiency and socio-ecological and economic indicators of country development. The investigation consisted from the following stages: conducting polynomial-regression analysis of energy efficiency development in Ukraine; development of correlation-regression multiple models of relationships between energy efficiency indicator and socio-ecological-economic indicators; explaining the conclusions and providing recommendations considering the findings. The object of the study was the processes of energy efficiency relationships with 30 indicators of socio-ecological and economic development, namely how much they affect the energy development of the country. The conclusions were theoretical and practical in terms of the impact on the level of energy efficiency of interdisciplinary indicators. The conclusions which proved by the empirical findings allowed identifying weaknesses in the development of the national economy, as well as to improve and increase the energy potential of the country through energy efficiency development strategies due to the studied determinants that have a strong impact on the level of energy efficiency.
Keywords: energy efficiency, carbon-free economy, sustainable development, energy sector, green energy, energy security.
JEL Classification: Q01, Q43, Q56, Q57.
Cite as: Ziabina, Ye., Pimonenko, T., Starchenko, L. (2020). Energy Efficiency Of National Economy: Social, Economic And Ecological Indicators. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(4), 160-174. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.4(4).160-174.2020
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Bhowmik, D. (2019). Decoupling CO2 Emissions in Nordic countries: Panel Data Analysis. Socio Economic Challenges, 3(2), 15-30. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.3(2).15-30.2019.
- Bilan, Y., Raišienė, A. G., Vasilyeva, T., Lyulyov, O., & Pimonenko, T. (2019). Public governance efficiency and macroeconomic stability: Examining convergence of social and political determinants. Public Policy and Administration, 18(2), 241-255. doi:10.13165/VPA-19-18-2-05. Retrieved from: https://www3.mruni.eu/ojs/public-policy-and-administration/article/view/4865.
- Bozhkova, V., Ptashchenko, O., Saher, L., & Syhyda, L. (2018). Transformation of marketing communications tools in a globalising environment. Marketing and innovation management, 1, 73-82. DOI: 10.21272/mmi.2018.1-05. Retrieved from: https://mmi.fem.sumdu.edu.ua/en/journals/2018/1/73-82.
- Caruso, G., Colantonio, E., Gattone, S.A. (2020). Relationships between Renewable Energy Consumption, Social Factors, and Health: A Panel Vector Auto Regression Analysis of a Cluster of 12 EU Countries. Sustainability, 12(7), 2915. doi:10.3390/su12072915. https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/12/7/2915.
- Chigrin, O., Scherbak, A. (2011) Analysis of the main problems of ecologically pure production implementation in Ukraine. Mechanism of economic regulation. 1, 235-241. Retrieved from: https://www.esd-conference.com/upload/book_of_proceedings/Book_of_Proceedings_esdBaku2020_Vol1_Online.pdf.
- Chygryn, O., Petrushenko, Y., Vysochyna, A., & Vorontsova, A. (2018). Assessment of Fiscal Decentralisation Influence on Social and Economic Development. Montenegrin Journal of Economics, 14(4), 069-084. Retrieved from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/ 329687891_Assessment_of _Fiscal_ Decentrali zation_Influence_on_Social_and_Economic_Development
- Chygryn, O., Pimonenko, T., Luylyov, O., & Goncharova, A. (2018). Green Bonds like the Incentive Instrument for Cleaner Production at the Government and Corporate Levels Experience from EU to Ukraine. Journal of Advanced Research in Management, 9(7), 1443-1456. Retrieved from: https://journals.aserspublishing.eu/jemt/article/view/2738
- European Statistical Office [Electronic resource]. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Electricity_price_statistics.
- Ibragimov, Z., Lyeonov, S., & Pimonenko, T. (2019). Green investing for SDGS: EU experience for developing countries. Economic and Social Development: Book of Proceedings, 867-876. Retrieved from: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=5676250165736788917&hl=uk&as_sdt=0,5.
- Ibragimov, Z., Vasylieva, T., & Lyulyov, O. (2019). The national economy competitiveness: effect of macroeconomic stability, renewable energy on economic growth. Economic and Social Development: Book of Proceedings, 877-886. Retrieved from: https://essuir.sumdu.edu.ua/handle/123456789/80913.
- Kostel, M., Leus, D., Cebotarenco, A., Mokrushina, A. (2017). The Sustainable Development Goals for Eastern Partnership Countries: Impact of Institutions. SocioEconomic Challenges, 1(3), 79-90. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.1(3).79-90.2017.
- K. B. (2018). Public Spending and Economic Growth in Developing Countries: a Synthesis. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 2(2), 22-30. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.2(2).22-30.2018.
- Letunovska, N.Ye. (2019). Innovative marketing approaches to promote the consumption of tourist product. Proceedings of the conference “III International Scientific Conference” Corporate governance: strategies, processes, technology, Leipzig, Germany, 73-75. Retrieved from: https://essuir.sumdu.edu.ua/bitstream/123456789/75842/1/Letunovska_abstract.pdf.
- Letunovskaya N. (2013). Social innovations of enterprises in the conditions of transformational economy. Innovative economy, 4, 107-112. Retrieved from: http://www.wydawnictwo.wst.pl/uploads/files/10ce27dda4eab6e1ad0c1e55ca02e9cd.pdf.
- Letunovskaya N. (2014). Social infrastructure of an industrial enterprise and its importance in the system of personnel motivation. Marketing and innovation management. 1, 259-269. Retrieved from: https://mmi.fem.sumdu.edu.ua/en/journals/2014/1/259-269.
- Liulov, O., Pimonenko, T, Stoyanets N., Letunovska, N. (2019). SustainableDevelopment of Agricultural Sector: Democratic Profile Impact Among Developing Countries. Research in World Economy, 10(4), 97-105. https://doi.org/10.5430/rwe.v10n4p97.
- Lyeonov, S., Pimonenko, T., Bilan, Y., Štreimikienė, D., & Mentel, G. (2019). Assessment of Green Investments’ Impact on Sustainable Development: Linking Gross Domestic Product Per Capita, Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Renewable Energy. Energies, 12(20), 3891. https://doi.org/10.3390/en12203891.
- Lyulyov, O. V., & Pimonenko, T. V. (2017). Lotka-Volterra model as an instrument of the investment and innovative processes stability analysis. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 159-169. http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2017.1-14.
- Mačaitytė,, Virbašiūtė, G. (2018). Volkswagen Emission Scandal and Corporate Social Responsibility – A Case Study. Business Ethics and Leadership, 2(1), 6-13. http://doi.org/10.21272/bel.2(1).6-13.2018.
- Makarenko, I., Sirkovska, N. (2017). Transition to sustainability reporting: evidence from EU and Ukraine. Business Ethics and Leadership, 1(1), 16-24. http://doi.org/10.21272/bel.2017.1-02.
- Marques, A. C., Fuinhas, J. A., Tomas, Carla (2019). Energy efficiency and sustainable growth in industrial sectors in European Union countries: A nonlinear ARDL approach. Journal of Cleaner Production, 239, 118045.http://doi.org/10.21272/bel.2017.1-02.
- Matsenko, A., Chigrin, Е., Taranovsky, V., Dolgodush A. Socio-ecological-economic challenges of water supply in Ukraine. Mechanism of economic regulation, 4, 264-271. Retrieved from: https://mer.fem.sumdu.edu.ua/index.php?cmd=view_article&article_id=222&issue_id=15&lang=en&.
- National Institute for Strategic Studies. Retrieved from: https://niss.gov.ua/.
- Nelson, E. M. (2017). Socioeconomic Challenges – A Global Perspective Evaluating Invisible Connections-Resolutioning Necessary Global Collaborative. SocioEconomic Challenges, 1(3), 116-119. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.1(3).116-119.2017.
- Olefirenko, O., Letunovska, N., Shevliuga O. (2019). System approach to the development of sales policy of innovative-active industrial enterprises. Scientific Bulletin of Uzhhorod National University. Series: International Economic Relations and the World Economy, 25(2), 20-24. Retrieved from: https://www.uzhnu.edu.ua/en/cat/faculty-fhistory_relati/material.
- Palienko M., Lyulyov O., Denysenko P. (2017). Fiscal Decentralisation as a Factor of Macroeconomic Stability of the Country. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 1(4), 74-86. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.1(4).74-86.2017.
- Panchenko, V., Harust, Yu., Us, Ya., Korobets, O., & Pavlyk, V. (2020). Energy-Efficient Innovations: Marketing, Management and Law Supporting. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 256-264. http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.1-21.
- Pantelis, C., Tasios, N., De Vita, A, Mantzos, L., Paroussos, L. (2012). Model-based analysis of decarbonising the EU economy in the time horizon to 2050. European Energy System Models, 1(2). http://doi.org/10.1016/j.esr.2012.06.003.
- Pavlyk, V. (2020). Assessment of green investment impact on the energy efficiency gap of the national economy. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(1), 117-123. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(1).117-123.2020.
- Pilia, G. (2017). Estonia and Lithuania in transition: A compared analysis of the change and its costs and benefits. Business Ethics and Leadership, 1(2), 12-19. http://doi.org/10.21272/bel.1(2).12-19.2017.
- Pimonenko T, Chygryn O., Luylov O. (2018). Green Entrepreneurship as an Integral Part of the National Economy Convergence. National Security & Innovation Activities: Methodology, Policy and Practice: monograph / edited by Dr. of Economics, Prof. O. Prokopenko, Ph.D in Economics V. Omelyanenko, Ph.D in Technical Sciences, Assoc. Prof. Yu. Ossik. – Ruda Śląska: Drukarnia i Studio Graficzne Omnidium, 358-365. Retrieved from: http://visnykj.wunu.edu.ua/index.php/visnykj/article/view/810/0.
- Pimonenko, T. (2018). Ukrainian Perspectives for Developing Green Investment Market: EU Experience. Economics and Region, 4(71), 35-45. Retrieved from: https://essuir.sumdu.edu.ua/ handle/ 123456789/80351.
- Pimonenko, T., Lyulyov, O., Chygryn, O., & Palienko, M. (2018). Environmental Performance Index: relation between social and economic welfare of the countries. Environmental Economics, 9(3), 7-16. http://doi.org/10.21511/ee.09(3).2018.01.
- Pimonenko, T., Yu, M., Korobets, O., & Lytvynenko, O. (2017). Ecological stock indexes: foreign experience and lessons for Ukraine. Bulletin of Sumy State University. Economy Ser, 4, 121-127. Retrieved from: http://visnykj.wunu.edu.ua/index.php/htneu/article/view/879.
- Ritchie, H., Roser, M. (2020). CO₂ and Greenhouse Gas Emissions. Our World in Data. Retrieved from https://ourworldindata.org/co2-and-other-greenhouse-gas-emissions.
- Samoilikova, A. (2020). Financial Policy of Innovation Development Providing: The Impact Formalization. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(2), 5-15. https://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(2).5-15.2020.
- Singh, S.N. (2019). Climate Change and Agriculture in Ethiopia: A Case Study of Mettu Woreda. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(3), 61-79. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.3(3).61-79.2019.
- Singh, S.N. (2020). Household’s Willingness to Pay for Improved Water Supply Services in Mettu Town: An Assessment. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(1), 86-99. http://doi.org/10.21272/ fmir.4(1).86-99.2020.
- Spremberg, E., Tykhenko, V., Lopa, L. (2017). Public-Private Partnership in the Implementation of National Environmental Projects. SocioEconomic Challenges, 1(4), 73-81. http://doi.org/10.21272sec.1(4).73-81.2017
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/
- Vashchenko, T., Letunovskaya, N. (2018). The role of innovative small business in solving the problem of import substitution and increasing the competitiveness of the industrial sector as a condition to ensure rapid development. Black Sea Economic Studies, 31, 49-52. Retrieved from: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/ bses _2018_31_11.
- World Meteorological Organization. (2020). Retrieved from: https://library.wmo.int/index.php?lvl=notice _display&id=21777#.X6qP1EX7TIW.
- Yelnikova J., Kwilinski A. (2020). Impact-Investing in The Healthcare in Terms of the New Socially Responsible State Investment Policy. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(3), 57-64. https://doi.org/10.21272/bel.4(3).57-64.2020.
- Yevdokimov, Y., Chygryn, O., Pimonenko, T., & Lyulyov, O. (2018). Biogas as an alternative energy resource for Ukrainian companies: EU experience. Innov. Mark, 14, 7-15. Retrieved from: https://essuir.sumdu.edu.ua/handle/123456789/80303.
- Ziabina, Y., & Pimonenko, T. (2020). The Green Deal Policy for Renewable Energy: A Bibliometric Analysis. Virtual Economics, 3(4), 147-168. https://doi.org/10.34021/ve.2020.03.04(8).
- Ziabina, Ye. (2016) Theoretical aspects of the formation of green economy in the context of sustainable development. Mechanism of Economic Regulation. 3, 116–121. Retrieved from: https://mer.fem.sumdu.edu.ua/content/acticles/issue_30/YEVHENIIA_A_ZIABINATheoretical_Aspects_of_the_Formation_of_Green_Economy_in_the_Context_of_Sustainable_Development.pdf.
- Ziabina, Ye., Lyulyov,, & Pimonenko, T. (2019) Development of green energy as a way to energy independence of the national economy: experience of EU countries. Scientific Bulletin of Polissia, 19(3), 39-48. https://doi.org/10.25140/2410-9576-2019-3(19)-39-48.