Department of Business Administration and Management, Faculty of Management Sciences, Adamawa State University Mubi, Nigeria
PhD, Department of Business Administration and Management, School of Management Sciences, Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic Bauchi, Bauchi state, Nigeria
Department of Business Administration and Management, School of Information and office Technology, Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic Bauchi, Bauchi state, Nigeria
Department of Business Administration and Management, School of Management Sciences, Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic Bauchi, Bauchi state, Nigeria
The intensity of global market competition has created dynamic and fast-changing business environment which has affected all enterprises including small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). SMEs have, therefore, realized the need to explore, exploit and deploy marketing innovation and innovative strategies in order to stay competitive in the changing business environment. In both developed and developing countries across the world, SMEs form an important fragment of the local economic system. Therefore, the objective of this study was to assess the impact of marketing innovation on the performance of SMEs in Nigeria. The study was guided by an epistemological research philosophy adopting a positivist research paradigm. The research design was cross-sectional survey design using both quantitative and qualitative approaches. The target population for this study was 782 registered SMEs by and the sample size was 120 respondents derived using Fisher’s formulae. This study used a self-administered, closed, and open-ended questionnaire to obtain quantitative data. The used descriptive statistics such as mean, standard deviation, median and proportions using the Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) version 24 and Microsoft Excel. Regression analysis and correlation analysis were used to determine the direction and strength of the relationship between the independent and the dependent variables. The study results revealed that whereas marketing innovation had a positive and significant influence on performance of SMEs in Nigeria. Study concluded that in this ever-changing technology, adoption of various innovations by SMEs is a key component of enhancing their performance. Therefore, enterprise owners need to be proactive in adopting different innovations since they all are linked positively to the performance of enterprises.
Keywords: marketing, performance, innovation, SMEs.
JEL Classification: M13, M19.
Cite as: Yelmi, A., Yahaya, Ya, Muhammed, A. (2021). The Impact Of Marketing Innovation On The Performance Of Small And Medium Enterprises In Nigeria. SocioEconomic Challenges, 5(3), 98-105. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.5(3).98-105.2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Ayodeji, O. B. (2017). Economic Characteristics And Financial Performance Of Selected Manufacturing Companies In Nigeria. Nigeria: Babcock University. Available at: [Link].
- Kimani, W. (2016). Market Orientation and Business Performance in Kenyan SME’s Unpublished PhD dissertation, Nairobi: United States International University-Africa. Available at: [Link].
- Masood, M., Sadia, S., Multan, P., Saqib N., & Saman, N. (2013). Effects of Innovation Types on Firm Performance: an Empirical Study on Pakistan’s Manufacturing Sector. Pakistan Journal of Commerce and Social Sciences, 7(2), 243-262. Available at: [Link].
- Minniti, M., & Naudé, W.A. (2010). What Do We Know about the Patterns and Determinant of Female Entrepreneurship across Countries? European Journal of Development Research, 1(2), 1-17. [CrossRef].
- Nakora, J.O., Tarus, B.K., Belgut, K., & Kipchirchil, K.E. (2015). Effect of Strategic Orientation on Performance of Small and Medium Enterprises: Evidence from Kenya. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, 3(11), 336-348. [CrossRef].
- Nurulhasanah, Zulnaidi., Y., & Rafisah., M., R. (2016). The Challenges among Malaysian SME: A Theoretical Perspective. World Journal of Sciences, 6(2), 124-132. Available at: [Link].
- Nwaizugbo, I.C., & Anukam, A.I (2008). Assessment of entrepreneurial marketing practices among small and medium scale enterprise in Imo State Nigeria: Prospects and challenges. Review of Contemporary Business Research, 3(1), 77-98. Available at: [Link].
- Nyachwaya, P. M. (2017). Influence of marketing innovations on the performance of soapstone small and medium enterprises in Kisii County. Unpublished PhD dissertation, Nairobi: University of Nairobi. [Link].
- Osuga, P. O. (2016). The Effects of Strategic Innovation On The Performance Of SMEs In Nairobi County. Unpublished PhD dissertation, Nairobi: United States International University, Africa. Available at: [Link].
- Tuan, N., Nhan, N., Giang., P. & Ngoc., N. (2016). The Effects of Innovation on Firm Performance of Supporting Industries in Hanoi-Vietnam. Journal of Industrial Management, 9(2), 413-431. [CrossRef].
- Walobwa, N. D., Ngugi, J. K., & Chepkulei, B. (2013). Effect of the type of innovation on the growth of small and medium enterprises in Kenya: a case of garment enterprises in Jericho, Nairobi. European Journal of Management Sciences and Economics, 1(2), 49-57. Available at: [Link].